Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 08:38:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
415129 Posts in 35501 Topics by 8884 Members
Latest Member: councilxvb32
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ 330 ford truck motor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 330 ford truck motor  (Read 12897 times)
81Mudder
Stroked Small Block

« on: February 14, 2010, 10:09:49 am »

i did not know where this thread would fall under, but can anyone tell me about the 330 hd ford truck motor. this motor is sitting in an old f600 log truck.

Don W.

1967 mustang drag project 1/8 mile car
393w, c4 trans reverse manual valve body, coan 4500 tc, 9 inch rear end 4.88 gear, cal-trac's with adjustable shocks, tinman subframe connectors.
51dueller
Small Block

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:46:53 am »

Its a FT series engine which is pretty much a FE engine but they used different cranks and distributors plus a few other items that don't directly interchange with the regular FE engines. Not really a performance engine by any means or really worth building into one. I've driven a 1966 F-500 with one and it took 3 miles to reach 50 mph. Didn't matter if it was loaded or not. A 5spd with a short fourth would have done wonders over the 4spd would have made it more enjoyable to drive.

1951 Mercury M-3 1 ton dually
331/AOD/Dana 70 3.73:1
gtcoupe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:33:02 am »

FT series?  Havent heard of that one, do any of the parts interchange with the old Lincoln Y blocks that were used in coe trucks into the 60's?

From Joel:
tuning in a dyno for optimum track results, is like swim practice in a dry pool........
Fordota
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

I believe Dana thinks they landed on the moon

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:36 pm »

Dont think so Doug. I think the 391 industrial is also an FT engine but not sure. I was told the crank can be used as a cheap steel alternative in a FE engine.

"I want to cheat, but remain in the grey area... not a full blown rat bastard cheater." -347HO

418w + 93 toyota pickup - check it out @  http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15697.30.html
51dueller
Small Block

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »

The FT engines were the 330, 361 and 391. From what little I know about their cranks is they have a larger snout which requires the FT timing cover and balancer if used in a FE engine.

1951 Mercury M-3 1 ton dually
331/AOD/Dana 70 3.73:1
gtcoupe
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:27:58 pm »

It amazes me what a variety of similar junk Ford built over the years.  I'm about to use a carb adapter originally designed for a flathead, along with an FE distributor and a Ford Y block oil pump all on my Lincoln block, just to be able to use a more modern carburetor.  The joys of tinkering with old junk...   Roll Eyes

From Joel:
tuning in a dyno for optimum track results, is like swim practice in a dry pool........
SteveL
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:41:54 pm »

The FT engines were the 330, 361 and 391. From what little I know about their cranks is they have a larger snout which requires the FT timing cover and balancer if used in a FE engine.

Nah, just find a competent machinist to turn the snout down to FE size...

Steve.K.Bates

To be honest, when you buy cheap, you invest in disappointment...
-Invalidboy
81Mudder
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »

thanks for the replys, i found one the other day and was just wondering about the motor. i figured they wasent a high rpm engine since its in a old log truck. is these motors rare, like rare enough to hang on to an maybe find the right person willing to pay big bucks for a resto project??

Don W.

393w, c4 trans reverse manual valve body, coan 4500 tc, 9 inch rear end 4.88 gear, cal-trac's with adjustable shocks, tinman subframe connectors.
MeanWT99GT
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:17:45 pm »

thanks for the replys, i found one the other day and was just wondering about the motor. i figured they wasent a high rpm engine since its in a old log truck. is these motors rare, like rare enough to hang on to an maybe find the right person willing to pay big bucks for a resto project??

Doubt it...I see them all the time in a running old ford rig for just a few grand.. Doubt you'd make a killin off it unless by some chance you find someone really looking for one.

Here's just one example I found today.. $3500 with only 8k miles..

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/1598730846.html

"I wouldn't worry about the rod ratio if I were using toothpicks and tomato soup cans...it's irrelevant." - Mark O'Neal
81Mudder
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:27:52 pm »

I just might buy to have a piece of history

Don W.

tracer64
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:07:42 pm »

I just might buy to have a piece of history
It amazes me what a variety of similar junk Ford built over the years.  I'm about to use a carb adapter originally designed for a flathead, along with an FE distributor and a Ford Y block oil pump all on my Lincoln block, just to be able to use a more modern carburetor.  The joys of tinkering with old junk...   Roll Eyes

I realize this is an old thread, but which adapter did you use for the carb?  I ended machining one at work to go from the original 3-bolt holley to a standard pattern 2100 2bbl.  I'm running a 300 cfm boat carb on my flattie!

Tracy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: