Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2018, 11:15:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435217 Posts in 37257 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ Big Block Talk
| | | |-+ 76 Ford F250 Highboy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 76 Ford F250 Highboy  (Read 14581 times)
Its1FastCat
Parts Pro
Section Moderator
Big Block

« on: February 07, 2010, 01:35:56 am »

A co-worker recently purchased a 1976 Ford F250 Highboy.  It had the factory 390 with an automatic transmission and he was asking for some recommendations on intake, carburetor, heads and exhaust.  His goal is to turn out around 600 horse at the flywheel.  Is this a reasonable goal for a 390?

What really turns a scientist on isn't knowledge, but ignorance.  A field that is pretty well figured out is the last thing a most scientists want to hear about.

~ Kenneth R. Miller

1987 Cougar XR7, 306 TLSR, 4.30 gears, 5 spd Tremec, Parker Funnel Web., Canfield 195 Heads.
posford
Small Block

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:35:28 am »

Check over at fordfe.com site. There are a lot of really knowledgeable guys there. 600hp from a 390 is doable but I don't think it will be too street friendly. There are more FE parts available now than ever and the prices are coming down from what they were a few years ago.

Nick.     
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:11:42 pm »

600 ponies with that dinosaur.... He better have a fat wallet...

Then when he finds out what it will take to actually use this power in that truck - he will poop!

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
Its1FastCat
Parts Pro
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:45:38 pm »

Thank you both,

I tried to tell him that it will be VERY EXPENSIVE.  I told him that he should run a Performer RPM with a 750 DP and that aftermarket heads would be a given.  Exhaust, camshaft, transmission and transfer case mods will be necessary.  And with those modifications I estimated just over 400 horse.  We priced out the parts at work on Saturday.  I told him to wait and see what condition the block is in internally before he gets ahead of himself with buying parts.  I suggested that we tear it down and check the bores, the end play, the condition of the camshaft lobes and journals and mic the rod and main journals.

What really turns a scientist on isn't knowledge, but ignorance.  A field that is pretty well figured out is the last thing a most scientists want to hear about.

~ Kenneth R. Miller

1987 Cougar XR7, 306 TLSR, 4.30 gears, 5 spd Tremec, Parker Funnel Web., Canfield 195 Heads.
makeithappenNOW
4 Banger

Making things happen

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 03:56:53 pm »

hmm, an old thread and not an fe issue really.
The 390 was not a stock engine if I recall correctly, it was the 360 in the '76 hi-boy.
Which brings me to the question.    Some ya whoo installed a '74 455 Olds and 400trans in my recent farm rig.  I like the dent sides, but would swapping the 460 be of benefit over the olds?  Otherwise, a single turbo 5.0 is an option as well.

289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »

hmm, an old thread and not an fe issue really.
The 390 was not a stock engine if I recall correctly, it was the 360 in the '76 hi-boy.
Which brings me to the question.    Some ya whoo installed a '74 455 Olds and 400trans in my recent farm rig.  I like the dent sides, but would swapping the 460 be of benefit over the olds?  Otherwise, a single turbo 5.0 is an option as well.

You should go ahead and start a new topic.  It'll probably get much more attention than being tied into this five year old topic.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: