Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2018, 07:03:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435267 Posts in 37272 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ 96 f250 460 4x4 turd
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 96 f250 460 4x4 turd  (Read 4495 times)
wywindsor
Big Block

« on: January 24, 2010, 08:58:42 pm »

I have 1996 f250 4x4 460 ,4.11,gears ,kn filter,cut air horn.All stock with 140,000 miles.This fucking thing has been a turd since I bought it new .I have nissan fronteir with a V6 269 hp vs. 245 in the 460 .I bought my mustang in may and towed it from reno to casper wy. with the nissan and it out pulled my 460 hands down.

Now it's time to rebuild the 460.I would like to pull the car like a bat out of hell, fuel mileage has always sucked .Anyone ever done mods to one of these f.i. peanut headed bastards.As I have no idea where to start other than headers and ask jay about a cam.

Thanks RAY
turbo5.0240sx
4 Banger

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:33:41 am »

My friend has one that is a turd also, a 351 will out run it with ease and i think my 300 six will also. I did some reading on the 460 forums and it appears the cam is retarded from the factory and installing the older timing chain and gears helps a lot. You can install a small cam to help but it has to be small duration to keep the computer happy. My friend did the headers and i actually think it runs worse now, the exhaust port is so small the manifolds look adequate and after the second set of leaky headers he is putting manifolds back on. The EFI heads are actually very good according to a well known head porter on that forum, but porting them helps also. I think the compression is also very low making them lazy and inefficient, so raising it might be of good benefit?
Ammosteve
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Steven Daniels

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:02:56 pm »

Like was said above the stock timing sets have retard built into them.

Those heads are junk.

The intake is junk.

You have no compression.

"If it were me" and I was using the stock stroke and a .030 over bore.

I would make sure the block was zero decked.  Try and get compression up to 9.5 to 9.8.       

I would use either the Trickflow Street head at 74cc or the Cobra Jet head at 72cc. 

A Victor or Trick Flow single plane intake converted to EFI.

The stock 24 lbs injectors will be on the small side.  I would use 42s.

Is this Mass Air or Speed Density? 

Mass Air I would do a 90mm TB and either a 90mm lightning MAF or a Pro-M 95mm MAF with 4 inch tubing. 

Speed Density I would try and use a 4150/4500 style Throttle Body.

I would definately look at a custom hydraulic roller with "good" lifters.  A cam with mild duration and moderate lift should idle and drive really well and have more torque to tow with than you know what to do with.

Headers....I don't know what is available off the shelf but something around 1 7/8 with a 3 or 3 1/2 collector would be a start.  A good dual exhaust with flow thru mufflers that match the collector size.

There are several guys on here that can point you in the right direction as far as getting it tuned.

Steve
modularmadness
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

I had one with a 26ft Uhaul, packed about 3/4 full pulling a trailer with a mustang on it from Orlando to Birmingham, it rolled 80mph the whole way and didnt give seem to have a problem with it

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: