Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2019, 04:51:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Roots & Twin-Screw
| | | |-+ Roots type and EFI 5.0?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roots type and EFI 5.0?  (Read 14297 times)
nolan62
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:02:31 pm »

Ok, I'm asking my first question here.  This forum seems kind of empty but I hope it's noticed.  I'm building an EFI 5.0 for my Falcon.  I know there are lots of Centrifugal chargers for the 5.0's.  But I love the look of a roots type.  I have already researched the Eaton M90 on the Thunderbird SC.  It won't work properly.  So my question: Does anyone know of Roots type super charger kits for an EFI 5.0?  Oh yes, I don't care about hood clearance.  I have no problem cutting a hole for it.

Thanks
ed
Is1BadFord
Rookie
2stroke

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:07:34 pm »

Go looking at Kenny Belle Whipplechargers, and Rouschchargers!

Both companies make nice twin screw setups for a fuelie 5.0 =).

Oh...one more thing.  Power on those things takes almost NO time to spool up.  Most of the time (I've read), you're at full boost by 2500rpm.  Pretty cool =).

Cris 
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:30:14 pm »

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/mustang50/mustang50.htm .....too late.....  ......Thumb up

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
fidstang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:41:27 pm »

Whipple makes one for the EFI HO's? Wonder, Ponder

Spend time with your family to, not just your car.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher states. The great teacher inspires."-- William Author Ward
nolan62
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 11:11:23 pm »

WOW, that was quick!   I total forgot about Kenne Bell.  I didn't see one on Whipple's site.  I'll look again tomorrow.  And Rousch I thought only made them for the Mod motors so I didn't go there to look.

Thanks!
Nosponyboy
Small Block

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:09:48 am »

Kenne Bell screwcharger, is extremely efficient, instant boost, high quality piece, the compressor body is a PSI (sweden), same company.  PSI makes the screwchargers for top alcohol cars, the reason top fuel can't run them is they make too much power (NHRA no-no).

Paul Payne
Vipersix
2stroke

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:51:08 am »

I have to disagree that the Whipple or Eaton superchargers can be considered Roots blowers.  Yes, they are the positive displacement blowers but they have internal compression whereas the true Roots blower has no internal compression.  Check out Don Hampton or BDS for various options with a Roots.

'94 Mustang GT Conv.

Body:  Cage, custom 9” w/Detroit Locker, tubular front-end

Engine:  351W bored & stroked, AFR 205cc, 6-71 blower, MSD system, custom  3" headers, classic style side-exhaust, Aeromotive fuel system, MegaSquirt EFI system, Enderle Bugcatcher intake
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:29:02 am »

It took me a minute to figure out what was going on in that picture of the kenny bell blower. but now i got it. 

Phil.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:48 pm »

I hope finding a roots style kit for a 302 is easier then 351w for fuel injection.I know that all the above manufactures make them and they are expensive.I used  the lower intake off a 2.9l ford f.i. motor and machined a box and plate to mount m90 with intercooler for a ranger.You can do this with any sbf lower intake, in fact I got this idea out of how to supercharged sbf book.I had about 200 hr. in this project and 600.00 dollars all used parts.
speedoo51
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »

Interesting..do you have some pics?..

Seb
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 12:55:55 am »

YES, I WILL POST THEM AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THEM ON ON THE FORUM. MIGHT BE A DAY OR TWO AS I'M PRETTY BUSY WITH WORK.THE SUPERCHARGER IS NOT ON THE TRUCK AT THE MOMENT SO I CAN TAKE MORE PIC'S TO SHOW YOU THE COMPLETE DESIGN.WE MOCKED UP THIS WHILE BUILDING THE MOTOR .THEN PUT IT ON THE OLD MOTOR TO TEST AND TUNE.JUST IN CASE WE BLEW THE SHIT OUT OF IT.THE NEW MOTOR IS IN THE TRUCK WHICH IS NOT RUNNING WELL AT THIS TIME.SO WHEN MY SON FIXES HIS TRUCK WILL INSTALL IT AGAIN.

I'M NOT TELLING YOU THE M90 WILL WORK ON A 302,BUT I DID THE MATH FOR THE 2.9  AND THE SUPERCHARGER IS BORDER LINE TO BIG.I CAN'T REMEMBER OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD PULLY SIZES OR BOOST #S.BUT A PLATE SYSTEM OR PLATE AND BOX SYSTEM LIKE THIS WILL WORK ON ANY F.I. INTAKE. I PLAN ON DOING THE SAME THING TO A 408W WITH A WHIPPLE  SUPERCHARGER.THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM.
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 10:29:38 am »

YES, I WILL POST THEM AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THEM ON ON THE FORUM. MIGHT BE A DAY OR TWO AS I'M PRETTY BUSY WITH WORK.THE SUPERCHARGER IS NOT ON THE TRUCK AT THE MOMENT SO I CAN TAKE MORE PIC'S TO SHOW YOU THE COMPLETE DESIGN.WE MOCKED UP THIS WHILE BUILDING THE MOTOR .THEN PUT IT ON THE OLD MOTOR TO TEST AND TUNE.JUST IN CASE WE BLEW THE SHIT OUT OF IT.THE NEW MOTOR IS IN THE TRUCK WHICH IS NOT RUNNING WELL AT THIS TIME.SO WHEN MY SON FIXES HIS TRUCK WILL INSTALL IT AGAIN.

I'M NOT TELLING YOU THE M90 WILL WORK ON A 302,BUT I DID THE MATH FOR THE 2.9  AND THE SUPERCHARGER IS BORDER LINE TO BIG.I CAN'T REMEMBER OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD PULLY SIZES OR BOOST #S.BUT A PLATE SYSTEM OR PLATE AND BOX SYSTEM LIKE THIS WILL WORK ON ANY F.I. INTAKE. I PLAN ON DOING THE SAME THING TO A 408W WITH A WHIPPLE  SUPERCHARGER.THIS IS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM.

Lets just say I have no clue what your post says. There is no reason to type in all caps.  Thanx!

Phil.
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 06:01:39 pm »

If this is the petty bullshit I have to put up with about typing in caps,then I joined the wrong forum.
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 06:34:47 pm »

Hey man. I was just stating all caps makes me not want to read it and skip it.

Phil.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:51:15 pm »

Ditto, lack of effort to type well doesn't gain respect.

The Eaton M90 has been done on the 302. Saleen Explorers had that option, it made about 275hp. That is too small of a blower for a 302, it's fine for a low boost stock engine.

Hunt for Kenne Bell kits for 302 Mustangs, those are the easiest to find used.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: