Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2018, 06:54:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ AOD vs T5 for a Street car
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AOD vs T5 for a Street car  (Read 11042 times)
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 04:11:51 pm »

David,
So with the 4R and AODE: with a full manual valve body the transmission doesn't need a computer controller? It only needs the two 12v wires for the lockup and overdrive which can be operateed from inside the car? OR does the 4R/AODE need both the computer and switches?

I was completely 'turned off' at the idea of having a computer in the car to control the transmission

*Edit: And how do the transmissions do at high RPM shifting? Will there be a problem with mid 7k shifts and approx. 8k traps?
Nothing needed, full manual control, I don't know about the rpm shift deal, I don't know that it would be a problem. Dan at CCR said with a manual valve body the 4R70W is good to about 600HP without any other mods.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
razor66
4 Banger

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »

What are people’s experiences and opinions on transmissions with overdrive capability for a 130+mph blast down the 1/4? I am looking for information on street/strip cars that can be daily driven. When someone doesn’t want to compromise 50/50 but would rather give up the least amount of ET on the track for a overdrive so you can run 4.88+ gears and still street the car, and use freeways.

T5: Light, supposedly 650hp capable @3300lbs
TKOs: heavier, supposedly capable of 1k+hp when built
New McLeod’s M800: light, unknown for the most part, available early 2010

Or the AOD: heavy, power hog, converter, 'bullet proof'

I've always leaned toward a 5speed after reading from here: faceplated, adjustable slipper clutch, alloy flywheel. And I would definitely use a stick if it was a track only car but being as it needs to be a functioning street car what do people think?

Thanks,
Matthew

I'm not sure if your question is related to a new build or for your current car, but if you have a current non-overdrive transmission that you are satisfied with for a performance/reliability standpoint and just want have overdrive gear capabilities then you might consider just adding a Gear Vendors under/overdrive auxiliary transmission in series with it.  Just a thought for another option anyway.

razor66 - John
66 Mustang Fastback, 427W, Top Loader 4-speed, Currie 9" Ford, TCP Front Suspension and Power R&P, Maier Racing Race Series Leaf Springs & Panhard Rod
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 11:58:20 pm »

Stick hands down.....................unless you want to take a nap going down the track then AOD all the way

I've got both for about as long as it's going to take me to assemble all the swap parts to get rid of the DOA in my silver hatch (lentech VB/ with small stall)..........it's just freakin boring to race

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 01:56:44 pm »

7,500 rpm shifts, 130 mph trap speeds, and street driven is starting to get pretty involved for a stick.  To power shift that high you'll need to step up to a dog ring or pro shifted transmission which is more involved when driving on street.  Then a sintered iron disc and fully adjustable clutch to really get the most out of it on the track.  You will need to put a good amount of track time into getting the clutch and your driving right at the track. 

I personally would go stick because I enjoy the challenge and fell with a good stick you will have a performance advantage and because they are just flat out fun to drive.  But, you need to think about how hard you are willing to work to get the stick right and what you are willing to put up with on the street with the right manual transmission.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: