Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2020, 04:38:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435298 Posts in 37290 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ Aftermarket Tuners - Generally
| | | |-+ EFI setup questions, TBI, Multi-port, carb style intakes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EFI setup questions, TBI, Multi-port, carb style intakes  (Read 5363 times)
rusty105
Big Block

« on: August 31, 2009, 09:57:23 pm »

Mods feel free to move to a more appropriate area.

Ok ,going with an aftermarket EFI (MegaSquirt) for my '65 Mustang, and want to hear some opinions on intake setups. Which would you go with?

1) Aftermarket 5.0 EFI intake
2) Victor Jr. with a 4 barrel throttle body, and huge injectors 50#+
3) Victor Jr with 4 barrel throttle body, and intake modified for port injectors
4) Victor Jr with elbow and MAF setup, port injection
5) Something else??

The ECU does mostly Speed Density, but with code rewrite can do MAF(so I am told), and is on the verge of SEFI as well. At that point it will be able to do individual fuel and spark timing for each cylinder (but is some time out still) My idea is going to go with something like option #2. My only concern is when power levels get up there, the injectors are going to be huge.

Rusty

Rusty
Engines are not 'LEGOs' It is not snap and click and there you have it.
Getting the Education I should have received years ago !
Racefab
rusty105
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:10:12 pm »

Anybody 

Rusty
Racefab
bender460
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:30:04 pm »

My suggestion would be to run a super victor EFI and a 4150 throttle body. That intake is already setup for injectors. Use the matching edelbrock rails. You can find used sets of 39lb 03 cobra injectors cheap. Just use EV6 style connectors when building your harness.

IMO you should do SD. Just run an air cleaner same as you would on a carb. Easier without a MAF.

Hope this helps a little.

92lx
pump gas, N.A. 347
TFS highprts, CI TLSR,
super vic,  4500 TB
MS3X EFI
Ultimate 5400rpm 8" converter C4
Full Team Z front and rear
10.90 at 124......D.A. 6500'
rusty105
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:39:00 am »

Thanks, I forgot the Vic Sr EFI was all set up with injector bungs.
Besides simplicity, any other reason to go SD over MAF?

What are the opinions on having the injectors in the throttle body (like a carb) i figure it would help with distribution.

Rusty

Rusty
Racefab
Rob50lx
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:57 pm »

Thanks, I forgot the Vic Sr EFI was all set up with injector bungs.
Besides simplicity, any other reason to go SD over MAF?

What are the opinions on having the injectors in the throttle body (like a carb) i figure it would help with distribution.

Rusty

I would think that the injectors in the throttle body would hurt distribution.  Then you have to be concerned with wet flow characteristics of the manifold.  It may look a little cleaner if you don't like the look of the fuel rails.  If you are going to use a TB with injectors, then why not use a carb.

I don't have it running yet, but I my setup is being changed again from a victor Jr. efi with FAST 4150 TB to a Canfield intake with the FAST 4150 TB.  I get the benefits of the short runner carb style intake with the better fuel distribution of sequential port fuel injection.

If you are going to go with fuel injection, then you might as go all the way and get all the benefits that it can offer.

As a side note, Edelbrock has a completely new system for converting carb motors to fuel injection.  The manifold is a new "Tunnel ram" style with TB opening towards the front.  It comes with a computer and new distributor to clear the front opening for the TB.  I can't find it on the net yet, but it was in one of the most recent Mustang Mags and achieved approx 500HP on a 347 on an engine dyno.

Rob

93 coupe, Griggs GR-40 front,  EVM Trilink and MM PHB.  Brembo front brakes, Cobra rear brakes.  3.73's and GForce T5. 347 C.I., Trick Flow heads, Canfield EFI intake, FAST 4 Barrel TB, 42# FMS Injectors, C.I. cam,  Hooker SC 1 3/4" LT w/ 3" x-pipe and 3" tailpipes, AEM EMS, AEM EPM Distributorless ignition with LS1 waste spark coils, Dual PLX SM-AFR WB's.
rusty105
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:26:18 am »

I would 'think' that if the fuel was mixed with air, each cylinder would get what it needs and with port injection you  are shooting a fixed quantity of fuel, but the air quantity could change? Now if you have the possibility to trim each cylinder, that would be good. As fvar as running a carb, I think you would have much better control of the mix with the injectors.

Rusty

Rusty
Racefab
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: