Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 11:37:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Using an EFI Distributor in a Blow Thru Application
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using an EFI Distributor in a Blow Thru Application  (Read 57037 times)
ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2016, 03:10:42 pm »

I have another question for you guys. I'm wanting to eventually ditch the carb and go with FiTech fuel injection. The instructions say you have to use a 2 wire distributor in order to utilize the timing control function of the unit. Can the tfi distributor be made to work in this application?

If I read the instructions correctly, their timing control function will only work with a magnetic pickup such as a Duraspark or MSD.

Well, that sucks. Do you know what my options are?
I bumped the timing to 20 degrees today and the car runs a lot better. I'm sure it would like more, but the idle follows the bump in timing. What I mean is, idle has gone up along with more timing. I backed the idle screw all the way out, but the idle is still high. I'm guessing somewhere between 1000-1500 rpm. I don't have a tach hooked up, so I'm just judging by sound.

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 03:21:36 pm »

Options on what? A magnetic pickup distributor? A MSD would be the most common and easiest to work with.  You could also modify a Duraspark or use a MSD type crank trigger.

You need a tach and need to figure out why your carb won't idle down.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 09:34:01 pm »

Options on what? A magnetic pickup distributor? A MSD would be the most common and easiest to work with.  You could also modify a Duraspark or use a MSD type crank trigger.

You need a tach and need to figure out why your carb won't idle down.

I had a Summit distributor in it, but had to use the tfi because the Summit one's shaft does not reach the oil pump shaft and won't spin it.

Here's a short video.

https://youtu.be/-b-qsAcbv8c

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 10:22:46 pm »

I had a Summit distributor in it, but had to use the tfi because the Summit one's shaft does not reach the oil pump shaft and won't spin it.

Carbureted 302s used a longer oil pump driveshaft. The shaft on most distributors is long enough to reach the efi length driveshaft, but I guess the Summit brand isn't.

However, a carb length driveshaft is too long to use with an efi length distributor. It will bottom out and can damage several things.

So, pick your poison and use the appropriate parts for it.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 08:25:43 pm »

Since I'm using the EFI distributor and need timing control, I went ahead and ordered an MSD programmable 6AL2 today. I'm going to keep the carb for now instead of going efi.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 11:28:34 pm »

I went ahead and ordered an MSD programmable 6AL2 today.

It wouldn't have been my first choice. The serial port connection is known to have compatibility issues when used with newer computers and adapters.

I would have likely recommended a Daytona Sensors timing control in conjunction with your 6AL, or even a MSD Grid controller with the 6AL box.

I honestly don't get it.

ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2016, 06:53:48 am »

It wouldn't have been my first choice. The serial port connection is known to have compatibility issues when used with newer computers and adapters.

I would have likely recommended a Daytona Sensors timing control in conjunction with your 6AL, or even a MSD Grid controller with the 6AL box.
Well, I'd never heard of Daytona Sensors until now. That would have saved me a few dollars, but we'll see how it goes. I looked through many reviews on the MSD and didn't find anything negative.

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 02:16:49 pm »

Well, I'd never heard of Daytona Sensors until now.

From what I gather, its many of the same people who worked for/designed Crane's ignition systems, which had a really good reputation.

In recent years Crane and the ignition lineup have changed hands a few times. Comp Cams currently owns the ignition lineup and is selling it under the FAST brand.

I looked through many reviews on the MSD and didn't find anything negative.

Connectivity issues with the serial port is the most prominent issue that I read about when I was considering switching to that box.

I'd actually recommend finding a older laptop to use for programming, one that won't be connected to the internet all the time . MSD software has been known to have issues after driver or software updates. You may luck up and find one that actually has a serial port too instead of using USB adapters.

Its not just MSD, most professional racers that I know of have separate, non-network computers that they use for efi, ignition, data logging, progressives, and boost controllers. They only update or connect to the internet when necessary.

I honestly don't get it.

ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2016, 02:28:21 pm »

Well, I'd never heard of Daytona Sensors until now.

From what I gather, its many of the same people who worked for/designed Crane's ignition systems, which had a really good reputation.

In recent years Crane and the ignition lineup have changed hands a few times. Comp Cams currently owns the ignition lineup and is selling it under the FAST brand.

I looked through many reviews on the MSD and didn't find anything negative.

Connectivity issues with the serial port is the most prominent issue that I read about when I was considering switching to that box.

I'd actually recommend finding a older laptop to use for programming, one that won't be connected to the internet all the time . MSD software has been known to have issues after driver or software updates. You may luck up and find one that actually has a serial port too instead of using USB adapters.

Its not just MSD, most professional racers that I know of have separate, non-network computers that they use for efi, ignition, data logging, progressives, and boost controllers. They only update or connect to the internet when necessary.
Ah, I thought they're box looked a lot like Crane.
I may just look into picking up an older laptop. I have a new one, so if there's issues, I'll try an older one. Thanks for the heads up and help!

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:35 am »

Ok, so as luck would have it, my order for the MSD unit was cancelled. Tried calling Daytona Sensors and the lady gave me a cell number for a guy named Dennis. I just wanna make sure they're timing control is all I need. He didn't answer, so I left a message.

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 05:56:01 pm »

Talked with Dennis today and he isn't sure their unit will work. He said I'll be the first to try it with the tfi distributor. I went ahead and ordered one. Found it for $153, so if it doesn't work, I won't be out much cash. If it does, I'm golden. I'll let yall know once I get it installed.

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 06:39:46 pm »

Talked with Dennis today and he isn't sure their unit will work. He said I'll be the first to try it with the tfi distributor. I went ahead and ordered one. Found it for $153, so if it doesn't work, I won't be out much cash. If it does, I'm golden. I'll let yall know once I get it installed.

The TFI module's negative coil lead should trigger the module input.

I honestly don't get it.

ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 01:53:53 pm »

The TFI module's negative coil lead should trigger the module input.

Right. I told him how it was wired, but he just hasn't tried it with tfi. Hopefully, there'll be no issues.

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
ponie1992
6 Banger

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 11:45:24 am »

Got the TCS-1 wired up the other day and everything seems to be working great! Glad I went this route. Thanks for the suggestion!

https://youtu.be/kUWjlud32yo

Jeremy
92 SSP Coupe
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »

Thumb up

I honestly don't get it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: