Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 06:15:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Using an EFI Distributor in a Blow Thru Application
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using an EFI Distributor in a Blow Thru Application  (Read 53669 times)
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« on: August 17, 2009, 12:00:26 pm »

This Tech Article will outline the "How To's" of using a Ford EEC/TFI distributor in a "blowthru" carbed application.  

Normally a person would pick up a good aftermarket distributor for a carbed application, but as many projects have a tendancy to do - the little things eat up a large portion of the budget and can leave us scrambling to get the project running while being low on funds.  That is where the stock EFI distributor comes in.

A good aftermarket distributor is hundreds of dollars and requires one to "recurve" the unit and pull all advance out of the distributor in a "blowthru" application.  I decided to try the readily available, very inexpensive and extremely reliable stock Ford EFI distributor which had a few benefits:

1. It was cheap;
2. Replacement parts and reman units are cheap and easy to find at any parts store;
3. The factory ICM is pretty damn reliable (all things considered) and offers good spark in stock form;
4. The factory EFI distributor is extremely accurate and reliable at the RPMs turned in a typical "blown" application;
5. By coupling the ICM and the Mallory buzz box I gave my self a backup if one or the other craps out; and
6. I didnt have to take the time to pull apart a distributor and "recurve" or "lock it out" as the EFI distributor has no advance built in already.

Perfect for a "blowthru" application!

As my project was an 86 Mustang I chose to use the distributor from an 86-93 Ford Mustang as it had the roller cam compatible gear already installed.  One should source a distributor for your particular application however.

All you need to do this setup is a good condition EFI distributor and a ICM pigtail.  My EFI wiring harness was long gone, and I needed the pigtail harness to plug into the Ignition Control Module located on the distributor.

After some searching, and actually finding a parts guy willing to open a book, I located a new pigtail (as every used one I found all suffered from frayed wires going into the harness plug).  The Help book described the product as "Ignition Module Socket Gray" and has Conduct Tite (Motor Mite - HELP) part number 85130.

Because no ECM is in the car only the three lower wires on the pigtail are used.

The bottom wire I simply grounded.

The second from last wire I ran to the "green wire" from my Mallory box. On an MSD box I belive you would use the white wire.  If no buzz box is being used you would hook this up to the negative coil wire (green with a yellow stripe).

The third from the last wire I simply ran to the switched 12v power wire on my Mallory Box (which was tied into the red wire with the green stripe on my factory harness as located on the drivers side firewall harness section).

Now you have an extremely reliable setup for next to nothing.

Happy Motoring!
Nathan Moonen "MM"
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:12:41 am by mighty mouse » Logged

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
gmatt9858
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »

Thanks for posting this. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You could use this set-up N.A.(with a carb) by adding a 'timing control box'. I hope I'm right because I'm converting from efi to carb and I've already got a 6AL and the stock efi dist. I'm thinking the efi coil could be used also, no?
mighty mouse
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:01:35 pm »

As long as you have an external electronic way of controling timing it should work, yes.

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
gmatt9858
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:07:23 pm »

Thanks again Nathan, this has been extremely helpful.
Big Worm
2stroke

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:11 pm »

I don't know how the hell I found this article, some sort of Google search to a link on corral and then a link to here from corral, this is almost like winning  the lotto, I'm in the middle of doing a carbed 351w right now.

One question, does anyone know what car had the 351w and had the TFI that takes the pigtail mentioned, all i keep finding have the pigtail on the dizzy and not on the TFI module, id assume I could just use the wires coming out of the dizzy instead of the TFI module but id prefer to do it just like the write up !

Thanks in advance !

1994 lightning dizzy pictured
Big Worm
2stroke

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:59:04 pm »

nevermind, I finally went back to a 1990 e250 and found the correct unit, I guess I have pre-mature postulation  Grin
4 Banger

FNG

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:01:14 am »

So a stock duraspark II blue connector box will work as the timing control box for a N/A application?  No need to power up the computer?  Can the computer act as ignition control? 
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »

So a stock duraspark II blue connector box will work as the timing control box for a N/A application?  No need to power up the computer?  Can the computer act as ignition control? 

This isn't a Duraspark, its TFI. The TFI module performs the same function as any other ignition module, the computer isn't used. The only issue with this is that there is no timing control. Not that its a bad thing, many of us run our distributors locked out (full timing), even with N/A applications.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
4 Banger

FNG

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:13:05 pm »

That'll get me running.  Thank you.  "pops out relay for EEC".  Then wire that puppy up to switched twelve volts and blow thru carb.  I did order a super vic and an 800 DP holly that needs rebuilt.  Good deals.  Pick them up tomorrow.  JEEEEEEEEGs.  Here I come.
grslms51
Stroked Small Block

1988 ranger

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:13:47 am »

i did this to my car..locked out timing..it is so simple and works great..complete tfi's are in junk yards and swop meets for a song....no need for a start retard unless you have a lot of compression.

* Picture 6750.jpg (142.58 KB, 640x480 - viewed 926 times.)
mxracer652
I'm Brendan, not Brandon!
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 12:03:20 pm »

Question:  Can I use a "regular" coil or do I need a TFI one with the extra plug?  Stupid EVTM manual hasn't come in yet & I'm flying blind.

86 LTD wagon, stock longblock 302 & 70mm turbo
95 Ranger + 302/362 + 4 link
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,26347.0.html
mighty mouse
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 12:08:38 pm »

any coil will work...

mxracer652
I'm Brendan, not Brandon!
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »

10-4 thanks brother!

86 LTD wagon, stock longblock 302 & 70mm turbo
95 Ranger + 302/362 + 4 link
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,26347.0.html
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:39 pm »

so dumb question but can you confirm how the coil is wired? does it get the wire from 2nd bottom terminal on the ground side of the coil and thats it? and then the positive side of the coil gets the same ign 12v power source as the terminal 3rd from bottom on the tfi?

for some reason it seems like the coil needs a signal from the module?

425" pump gas 6.2@110
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:51 pm »

for some reason it seems like the coil needs a signal from the module?

The coil negative gets the signal, just like points and hei.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: