Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2019, 01:44:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Roots & Twin-Screw
| | | |-+ Blower bypass valve setup on non-SBF engine (but a Ford)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blower bypass valve setup on non-SBF engine (but a Ford)  (Read 4626 times)
mxracer652
I'm Brendan, not Brandon!
Big Block

« on: October 30, 2006, 07:58:16 am »

First off, I picked up an Eaton M90 (3rd gen) for $150 to do a custom install on my daily driver...04 4 liter Ranger.  I'm in the process of fabbing up an intake to mount the blower to, and I need to make a bypass, so at part throttle/hwy cruising, it's not under boost.

The easiest thing I could think of was to use a butterfly valve actuated by a vacuum diaphragm (one of those plunger deals), so when the intake vacuum goes up, the valve opens, and the intake bypasses the blower. 

I think I can "tune" the bypass by adjusting spring preload on the butterfly valve, and keeping an eye on the boost gauge while driving & set it where I like it. 

Anybody ever do an install like this, think this is a stupid idea, or know where I can get a vacuum diaphragm for this purpose (would need to have at least a 1 or 2" stroke)?

Thanks.   

86 LTD wagon, stock longblock 302 & 70mm turbo
95 Ranger + 302/362 + 4 link
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,26347.0.html
vettekiller
Small Block

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:13:34 am »

I just used a 15.00 bosch bypass valve for my paxton. vacuum operated. i think i spent 20.00 total with hose and clamps.

currently...357" W, stock crank 30/30, ross flat tops -3cc .004 in, thumper ported twisted wedges, manley pr's, scorpion 1.72's, 10.75 compr., comp 292H hydr,  perf rpm intake, holley 750dp, custom c4 w/brake,rmvb. car still under construction.
HeadDoctor
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:16:22 am »

Why do want a bypass valve in the first place?
The blower is so small that the boost pressure at part throttle is minimal anyway and if you have the carb mounted to the inlet of the blower the fuel stays homoginized better. With the by pass valve you're going to be blowing fuel out ot the valve into the engine compartment if the fuel is running through the blower. If you don't run fuel through the blower it will leak so bad through the middel that you won't have any boos at all. 

Eaton's are good pieces but they're 2 lobe (I think) stright roters - the twisted roters like a the 71 series GMC's are more efficient. But make more heat.

Note - The ones I've seen bolt directly to the carb (Holly) intake Check to see if MagnaCharger has an adaptor or a manifold that will work for your set up.

Denny

You Can't Buy Horsepower In A Box
Innovation Is The Key To Speed & Power
The Smartest Thing I Ever Said Was I Don't Know
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: