Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2019, 04:07:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Turbos
| | | |-+ Twin Turbo 302 Turbos
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twin Turbo 302 Turbos  (Read 4124 times)
fordwillownyou
2stroke

« on: July 20, 2009, 06:07:29 pm »

Hey,

I'm planning on building a twin turbo 302 for an 89 Ranger. I cant quite decide on what turbos to use. I've tried the search function, with no luck. I only found one post with slightly relevant information, but it didnt have my exact answer. I'm on a ridiculously tight budget, and am thinking about using two of these cheap little puss/ricer turbos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T04E-0-63-A-R-TURBOCHARGER-T3-T4-D15-D16-B16-B18-B20-SR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1171Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27a9883a63QQitemZ170348001891QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm just not quite sure if they will be appropriate for my application. All of this A/R and trim crap really confuses me. So I figure things like this: a honda is what? 2 liters? so the ideal application for two of them would be a 4 liter motor. And since it's gong on a 5 liter motor, its going to spool up at a lower rpm than on the 4, but thats good, since I'm not looking for crazy topend (mostly stock internals; rods, pistons, crank, valves, and rockers).

Any input? Those things are cheap as balls so longevity of the turbo itself isn't a major concern for me...
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:59:48 pm »

Welcome to SBFtech. If you don't get some help from a pro with selecting the turbos, that is a crap shoot as to where the boost will start and when it will fall off. Plus the stock engine isn't going to last long if you end up with anything beyond a very mild boost level.

A stock 302 can do okay if the boost is planned well, controlled well, and you have a great tune and camshaft for the combination. All of that is very hard to do for a non professional or inexperienced turbo user. I suggest that you do your best at finding help from experts, not opinions of people who give you their combination and describe it. Contact Jay, and see if he will help you with turbo selection if you buy a custom cam from him for it. Regards,

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
fordwillownyou
2stroke

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:21:47 pm »

Alright, well my original plan was for pretty mild boost (definatley not over 10psi). So I guess I'll look into contacting Jay. (Is he on this forum? What's his username?)
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »

He's the man, the co-owner of the site, and Camshaft Innovations. Look to the main forum pages and find the CI section, post a thread there, or find him in the recent posts.  Wink

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
Manics93
4 Banger

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 04:46:29 pm »

also if your getting into putting a turbo of any kind on your car you really need to check out the turbo forums (http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php) thay have so much information over there it will blow your mind. I would say its like the SBFTECH.com of the turbo world and most of the people over there are the same way i.e. thay will not bullshit you thay wont sugar coat anything and thay usually will not just hand you info and do all your research for you thay expect you to do your homework on that site and use the search function and you will be able to find pretty much anything you want and if you have anything you dont understand or any kind of spicefic questions that you need answered thay will help you as much as that possibly can as long as thay can tell your trying to learn what you need and not just trying to get them to tell you everything you need to know thay want you to learn it instead of being handed it. Also check out the builds board it really helps to give you some ideas on everything from building your own headers to mounting the turbos and running pipes. good luck and have fun.
gmkillr
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 04:57:30 pm »

He's the man, the co-owner of the site, and Camshaft Innovations. Look to the main forum pages and find the CI section, post a thread there, or find him in the recent posts.  Wink

Jim Woods (Woody) is the owner of this site.
Nobody else...... Grin
rusty105
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 05:08:10 pm »

$128   Huh?  Smoking deal, but how is the quality?

Rusty

Rusty
Engines are not 'LEGOs' It is not snap and click and there you have it.
Getting the Education I should have received years ago !
Racefab
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:39:24 pm »

Jim Woods (Woody) is the owner of this site.
Nobody else...... Grin

Okay thanks, I read that somewhere else here.

Don

95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:23:44 am »

Welcome to SBFtech. If you don't get some help from a pro with selecting the turbos, that is a crap shoot as to where the boost will start and when it will fall off. Plus the stock engine isn't going to last long if you end up with anything beyond a very mild boost level.

A stock 302 can do okay if the boost is planned well, controlled well, and you have a great tune and camshaft for the combination. All of that is very hard to do for a non professional or inexperienced turbo user. I suggest that you do your best at finding help from experts, not opinions of people who give you their combination and describe it. Contact Jay, and see if he will help you with turbo selection if you buy a custom cam from him for it. Regards,

i do not agree with the bold part, i agree with the underlined part.
the stock 302 bottom end deserves more credit than its getting.

95gt, stock forged 302 shirtblock, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, xe258 (208/216 .550), 90mm accufab TB, 69mm gt45, 3in cold side, a/a intercooler, water injection, ba5000 maf, 80lb injectors, moates quarterhorse, stock manifold modified & a log manifold, twin 2in up pipes, 60mm wg, 3.5 dp dumped, 14psi, 3.27s, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600, stock flywheel, ram replacement pressure plate and kevlar/organic disc. 450rwhp 12.39 @ 123.5mph 3400lbs
gmkillr
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:58:46 am »

i do not agree with the bold part, i agree with the underlined part.
the stock 302 bottom end deserves more credit than its getting.

I agree, I pushed a ton of boost through my stock Longblock for years and its still running in another members car here on this board.  You just need a good tune!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: