Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 08:19:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
433205 Posts in 37062 Topics by 9458 Members
Latest Member: Rich351
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Power and Drivetrain Combos
| | |-+ 289/302 - non-stroker combos
| | | |-+ Juiced Coupes 306
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Juiced Coupes 306  (Read 116760 times)
al2
Big Block

« Reply #270 on: March 17, 2017, 08:38:39 pm »

I know you said you were gathering parts of a 351w based engine. Would you share with us what u
You have planed ?
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2017, 10:06:49 pm »

I know you said you were gathering parts of a 351w based engine. Would you share with us what u
You have planed ?

Was thinking dome piston 357, now thinking that a flat top 408 sounds better. Probably stick with a hydraulic roller.

Initially, I'll probably use my ported Edelbrock heads. Even with those heads, I figure it can still make 700+ on the bottle.

All of this is still long term, as non-car related things are holding me up on several different things.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2017, 11:07:07 pm »

Well, after 10 years (stamped 2/07), my red top Optima finally died. I hear that the current ones are garage otherwise I'd buy another one just like it. I got the boat battery in it until I replace it or decide to go fishing.

My kill switch also quit about the same time as the battery. Replaced the two post Quickcar with a four post Cole Hersee. I've currently got it wired like the two post was, but I'm fixing to route the alternator wire to the car side of the switch and use the smaller posts to kill the MSD box.

This will do a few things for me.
- It will remove the one wire that is always hot on my car. So its safer.
- I had the diodes go out in my alternator a while back. After some research, it looks like throwing the kill switch like that is very hard on the diodes.
- It should be more reliable. Other than starting the car, the primary contacts will only have to carry enough current to maintain the battery. The current setup routes all of the alternators power through the switch. And the small posts that shutdown the car will see minimal amperage.

I installed my MSD 8981 timing computer. While it has a fully adjustable timing curve, I'm only using the start and step retards. I may mess with the curve at some point, but my car really likes the timing locked.

I've got a set of Kenny Brown anti-squat brackets and some Eibach drag springs for the rear. I wanted some Team Z/PAC springs but they've been out of stock for a while now. I got the Eibachs used for very little, so I'll give them a try.

I've already got the car on my raised work platform (AKA, the trailer) so that it will be easier to work on the suspension and take measurements. I'm also going to adjust the front ride height and alignment, something just feels off at higher speeds.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Bam54
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #273 on: April 01, 2017, 11:50:13 pm »

Nice sounds like your making progress

Bam

"Take the horse out of the barn and let her run baby run"

www.ponyexpressracing.com

CHI headed 454 Clevor
9.24@142 1.30 60ft N/A
5.84@117 1.28 60ft N/A
3040lbs race weight
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #274 on: April 08, 2017, 08:37:08 pm »

Well, I'm about 75% done with the anti squat brackets. Since I had to pull the brake backing plates to drill the holes, it gave me the opportunity to inspect the axles for any twist and change the fluid. Both looked great. Not that I expected otherwise, that rear was built to handle anything that I will ever throw at it.

I noticed that the airbag was dried out when I pulled the springs. And sure enough, it busted when I tried to remove it. But hell, it was about 8 years old and a complete new assembly is only $40.

Before anyone asks why I still use the bag and not a anti roll bar, its because my car still sees lots of street time.

While pulling measurements, I noticed how much my front coilovers had settled. They are now compressed close to 50%. So I ordered some 14/150 Afcos to replace the 14/130 Strange/Knight springs. That should help the front suspension settle down some too.

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2017, 12:16:02 am »

Got the brackets on and rear springs in. Still got to put the axles and brakes back together. After that, I'll get the car loaded and square the rearend.

Damn thing gave me hell getting the LCAs back in place. I should have completely done one side before taking the other apart. The rear wound up shifting on me, breaking one of the brake lines off and tearing a weld loose on the exhaust. Got the brake line repaired but still have to re-weld the exhaust.

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:33 pm »

Its finally back together.

It looks like I may have gotten one of the holes slightly off when aligning the AS brackets, causing the LCAs to bind and push the rear towards the drivers side. After moving the front heim joint over 1/4" on the passenger side LCA, the bind was gone.

After pulling tons of measurements and jacking with the UCAs, I got the rear within 1/8"  from side to side and the pinion angle at 2°.

When I bought the used Eibach drag springs, I knew that they had been cut. What I didn't know was that they were cut wrong by a retard that then unloaded them online. The driver side was about an inch lower than the passenger side. Due to the design of the AS brackets, I expected to have to make spring spacers. Luckily, I had plenty of material to make the driver side spacer thicker.

It also looks like the Moser rear cover may have been making contact with the spare tire well. So I clearanced that so everything has plenty of room to move.

Just from lifting and pushing on the car, the rear seems to move much more freely than before.

Also swapped out the front coilover springs. The 14/130 Strange/Knight springs that were on the front were compressed way more than they should have been to set ride height. So I picked up a set of very lightly used (testing) Afco 14/150 springs, thinking that I just needed a heavier spring.

After removing the old springs, it looks like they may be bad. The free lengths of them is 13.25 and 13.5", while both Afcos were 14.25". Its possible that I messed those springs up early on while trying to figure out other issues that I was having with the front end. Even with the heavier springs, the front end feels looser than before.

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2017, 02:56:34 am »

Well, after nearly four years  (I didn't think it had been that long), finally got back to the track.

I wanted to go to Leakesville on Sunday but the weather forecast doesn't look good, so I went to Mobile tonight. As before, Mobile is only 600'.

I had traction problems on nearly every pass. Mobile always has poor prep on Fridays, and my slicks are dried out.

First pass spun pretty hard. I didn't do a great burnout and it was early in the night.

1.75     60'
7.23     ET
87.54   MPH

Without the airbag, the rear of the car torques over pretty hard. I thought tightening up the shocks would help control the rear and plant the tires harder. Wrong! It annihilated the tires for most of the 60'. To make it worse, I got beat by a fucking Civic. The little fucker was quick and I was catching him, just didn't quite have enough track.

1.81    60'
7.31    ET
87.51  MPH

After that embarrassment, I came back to the pits, loosened the shocks way up and dropped the tire pressure, then went right back up. It definitely helped, but damn she is squirrely.

1.69    60'
7.20    ET
87.36  MPH

After making three passes in less than an hour, I let the car cool for a while. Feeling comfortable that the suspension was about as good as it was going to get, I didn't change it the rest of the night.

1.70    60'
7.16    ET
87.92  MPH

Thats within a tenth of the cars best at Mobile, and those times were in November. I'm pretty sure that is the best N/A pass during the spring.

Anyways, my name is juiced and I came prepared, sorta. Since my Aeromotive pump failed, I have been using a old Holley Red pump that was laying around. Not being real confident in the pumps ability to keep up, I dug out my 75 hp jets. Seriously, its a 46N/32F (smallest jet I have). And.............. it lit up the tires as soon as I hit the button.

1.77    60'
7.06    ET
89.92  MPH

So I hot lapped it and did my best impression of a John Force burnout. It spun a little on the initial hit but pulled through okay.

1.65    60'
6.94    ET
89.96  MPH

At this point, dew is starting to lay down pretty good and they made the 30 minute call as I pulled back into the pits. No time to waste, check tire pressures and get back in the lanes. Figured I'd try to leave on the motor and then spray it about 20' out. It didn't matter, it spun on the motor and I hit the button as soon as it hooked.

1.68    60'
6.99    ET
90.19  MPH

Checking the online calculators, it looks like my 75 shot was giving me but about 40ish. And I think I know at least part of the reason. Being that I had to make all the nitrous passes pretty quickly, I never had a chance to look at the plugs.

Since I had my doubts about the fuel pump and that jetting is pretty lean for a 75 shot, I have my retard set to pull 7°. After looking at the plugs, the color looks good but the timing mark isn't even remotely close to the bend. I could probably have only pulled 2-3°and still been safe.

Things to take away from this:

-I seriously need new tires, and the 28X9 Pro Bracket Radials are looking pretty good. No tubes, and I hear they hook great and wear better than most.

-I need a new airbag for the rear. Without it, the torque roll is pretty damn bad. And no, I'm not putting a anti-roll bar on it.

-After those are done, I need to address the fuel system. While a big pump is still in the cars future, it just isn't necessary in its current state. Looking around on Holley's website, they have some less expensive versions of the Black pump sold through the Earls and Sniper brands. And I hear that they are pretty damn good pumps too, not that I would expect Holley to sell junk.

-As I said before, even though the N/A times aren't bests, I'm pretty sure that they are bests for this time of the year. So even with the starting line antics, the rest of the car seems to be doing its thing just fine.

Oh yeah, after making the front suspension changes and alignment adjustments, it drives much better on the top end.

I honestly don't get it.

cheapbastard
6 Banger

« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2017, 08:04:59 am »

The main thing is you got out there which is half the battle. I'd be happy if my junk ran at the moment.

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower...
65 mustang coupe, 10.4 compression 306, home ported 180 cc Chinese heads, funnel web, Lunati Voodoo Solid flat cam, t5z, 8 inch with 4.62 gears in a locker.
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2017, 11:49:33 am »

First thing is to get rid of that air bag and install a anti roll bar, trust me its well worth the money.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2017, 01:27:14 pm »

First thing is to get rid of that air bag and install a anti roll bar, trust me its well worth the money.

Its not a money thing. Its that I drive it on the street, a lot. And I don't know how roads are where you live, but they are pretty shitty around here.

I've seen pot holes blow out tires and bend wheels more than a few times. I've also seen a couple mangled anti roll bars.

I know that I could remove one of the links. But to tell the truth, I'm also lazy.

I also know that eventually, I won't have a choice. But for now, I'll stick with what has worked. Before I screwed up the last bag, the car almost always left straight.

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:58 pm »

With the weather forecast looking better, I was going to try Leakesville. I was even texting back and forth with the track owner.

My plan was to treat the tires to soften them up some. But after getting them off and knocking all the grass off of them, I could see that both tires are showing cords in some places. Oh well.

I honestly don't get it.

289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2017, 12:19:48 pm »

Glad to hear to got to make some passes.  You're a 60ft away from a new best on motor.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2017, 06:00:11 pm »

Glad to hear to got to make some passes.  You're a 60ft away from a new best on motor.

You know, I was so focused ao the traction problems all night that I wasn't paying much attention to how well the car was running afterwards. Even being loose and spinning, it was running out very good.

I honestly don't get it.

cheapbastard
6 Banger

« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2017, 08:07:10 pm »

Very cool

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower...
65 mustang coupe, 10.4 compression 306, home ported 180 cc Chinese heads, funnel web, Lunati Voodoo Solid flat cam, t5z, 8 inch with 4.62 gears in a locker.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: