Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2019, 07:00:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435285 Posts in 37279 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Membership Tech
| |-+ Product Reviews
| | |-+ March Performance Pulleys and Serpentine Systems
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: March Performance Pulleys and Serpentine Systems  (Read 3745 times)
j.r.nice
6 Banger

« on: July 12, 2009, 09:54:02 pm »

This is documented experienced as stated at http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19798.0.html . Special thanks to j.r.nice for sharing what seems to be a common problem with some of their products in the spark advance pointer area. The following posts were a result of his follow up after finally being able to solve an engine pinging/idle control problem for about a year.

By Joel5.0

Well, here I go again.
I have a Falcon with basically everything new under the hood.
Ford crate reman 5.0 (longblock) with
AOD transmission, and 3.25 gears. 
Reused upper and lower intake from a 1990 Lincoln Mark VII
Reused throttle body from Mark VII (cleaned with new IAC)
Painless wiring harness for a 5.0 EFI
9AP (or L?) rebuilt PCM from Advance
New:
Mass air sensor
TPS
IAC
ECT
IAT
MAP (barometric pressure)
O2 sensors
EGR
EGR sensor
TFI module and pickup
Cap & rotor
FPR (Aeromotive adjustable 40PSI KOEO, ~32 PSI at idle)
EFI external fuel pump
fuel filter.
VSS
vacuum hoses
sealed up all vacuum joints
I believe all sensors came directly from Ford.
Motorcraft plugs (SP450?) whatever Advance showed for a stock 89 Mustang GT, and I believe they are gapped .055.
MSD coil
Anyway, the problem:
No starting issues.
No trouble codes
On a cold engine, runs about 30 seconds then drops down to idle. (750-800)
Idles smoothly for a while 2 minutes then hunts and dies
Sometimes it will die when put into gear, cold or not.
Cracking the throttle slighty (increasing RPM to 1200 or so) sometimes causes it to fast idle rough (miss)
Also suffers from preigniton (rattles) under load or at WOT
Runs good otherwise.

Timing at 10 - 12 BTDC with spout disconnected.....still rattles.

I have set the Idle speed and TPS using directions I found here (I believe)

TPS voltage is .98 (I got a 1.01 once) and WOT returns 4.69
The low WOT voltage concerend me so I was playing with it - could not get it over 4.69V
The Mustang and Mark stuff were leftovers and I am beginning to wonder about the throttle body.
Just seems with all the new stuff it should not have any problems at all.
I have put about 2000 + miles on it
Ran premium and 87 pump gas - no effect- still rattles

j.r.nice:

If you mean from MARCH, sure. After building several cars (with tons of after-market stuff) and helping my brother with his, I am a bit tired of the mfgs attitude that it's not their problem.
We just had the Good-Guys Nationals here, and I confronted the reps with problems I had. That was BEFORE I found this issue.......which almost makes the other pale by comparison. I went back to their booth today and it was un-manned......hmmm   wonder why.......
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:09:02 pm by Joel5.0 » Logged

All Ford, all the time
j.r.nice
6 Banger

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:32:32 pm »

I just got offf the phone with MARCH PERFORMANCE ths morning. I called the tech line. The poor guy never stood a chance. There was no where for him to go!! I was pissed after  banging my head for over a year.  . From what I gather, the have sold about 200 of these, and are/were aware of the issue.  The tech people have been conveying the problem to the engineers and OWNER and it has not been resolved. In sooo many ways, I expressed my frustration and irritation over dealing with the problem and worse,continuing to sell them without advising the consumer. (Product liability). It is marketed for the 289/302/351 AND 5.0. Mostly it is targeted at 94-95 Mustangs and hot rods. I told him that most people in that category are using the more updated 5.0 and not the old style 289/302......and the older timing pointer location. It's an engineering flaw. Bottom line is I tried to emphasize that they owe the consumer the updated info. I also told him that the engineers need to get their heads out of their ass(es) and the machinists need to get off their butts and make the "corrected" pointer. AND I WASNT ONE NOW!!!! IT is not up to me to supply/modify their product to make it work. So, he said he would pass it along to the engineers and the owner.
I am contacting a friend at Jegs and  Summit so that they can advise buyers there is an issue with the kit. This has been a full year of BS and stress not to mention the problems it has caused my engine. letter to them is next......

All Ford, all the time
j.r.nice
6 Banger

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:35:51 pm »

This is what I just sent them via email.
Joel, is there a more appropriate place to post this info (about the kit problems? I dont want anyone else to go thru what I did.

"I purchased your Style track 30420 and installed it in May 2008. For the last year, I have spent countless hours and probably another $1000 to make this kit work right. The engine never ran correctly. It idled poorly and the ignition rattled under load. Suspecting everything else but your kit, I replaced numerous electronic sensors and components and fuel supply items. Only to find that all the issues revolve around your timing pointer. The kit is designed around a more modern 5.0, but retained the earlier timing pointer position. You cant imagine the irritation, frustration and expense this has caused.
This needs to be resolved by you and the consumer advised of the update.
 I have already provided this info via phone, but feel it is important enough to follow up in writing."

All Ford, all the time
j.r.nice
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:48:35 pm »

Both Jegs and Summit were very interested in the problem.  After all the too are in the direct line of fire from customers. Both vendors were going to contact March to find out what's going on. 

I also sent an email to Speed Unlimited who has a set listed on Ebay.

All Ford, all the time
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: