Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2018, 10:29:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435267 Posts in 37272 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Power and Drivetrain Combos
| | |-+ 9.5 Deck Stroker Combos
| | | |-+ 393W in 67 Mustang
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 393W in 67 Mustang  (Read 25628 times)
95RCode
SBFTechie
Small Block

Roll Tide!!

« on: February 13, 2009, 06:59:16 pm »

COMBO INFORMATION
Provided by: James

01. Block

Displacement: 393
CR: 10.5:1

02. Heads

Brand: AFR
Model: 185 - 64cc
Ported?: No

03. Camshaft

Brand: Camshaft Innovations - Jay Allen
Grind Number/Model: SFT
Int./Exh. Duration @.050": 248/262
Int./Exh. Lift: .595/.558" @1.6 ratio
Lobe Separation Angle:  111

04. Induction

Carbureted/EFI: carbed
Intake: Victor Jr
Carb/Injector Size: 850 Holley DP

06. Exhaust

Style: Hooker 1 3/4 Longtube headers
Diameter: 3"
Catted: no
"X" or "H": X pipe
Mufflers: Flowmasters w/Turndowns

07. Power Adder: None

08. Transmission

Manual/Auto: Manual
Model: Jerico
Plate/Clutch: Ram
Flywheel: Mcleod 22lb Steel
Driveshaft: Ford
Converter Stall: my right foot

09. Gears

Style: 9"
Ratio: 4.56
Differential Style: Spool
10. Rear Suspension Setup: Cal-tracs, Cal-trac Mono-leafs, Rancho 5-way adjustable rear shocks
11. Front Suspension Setup : 90/10 Shocks, Rollerized Spring Perches, No Sway Bar
12. Tires: M/T 29.5 X 9" Slicks- Weld Wheels
13. Car Weight: 3240 lbs. w/ driver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time Slip:

60ft.: 1.45
330ft: 4.40
1/8th ET: 6.86
1/8th MPH: 100.2
1/4 ET: 10.77
1/4 MPH: 125.2

Dyno Data:

FWHP: ?
FWTQ: ?
RWHP: ?
RWTQ: ?

COMMENTS/OBSERVATIONS:

Currently swapping out heads and intake.  Installing a pair of Brodix Track 1 M2 CNC Ported heads for the AFR185's and trying out a Super Victor in place of the Victor Jr.  This is mainly just to see how much the AFR's were limiting the 393.  Next year comes a new shortblock with probalby more compression and a solid roller.

1967 Coupe
Pump Gas 393 with a Jerico, Brodix Track 1 M2 CNC, Super Victor
dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:44:35 pm »

That's a sweet running 67!!!!! 

Nice 60'er too.  Is your ram clutch a sintered iron setup?  If so, how much base do you run?

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
95RCode
SBFTechie
Small Block

Roll Tide!!

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 07:45:03 am »

Thanks Dennis,

Took me a while to get the 60 foot time there.  I did two things together that really helped.  The Cal-trac monoleafs and the rollerized spring perches.  The springs took a LOT of the hit out of the suspension and the perches helped the car rotate.  The sand bags in the trunck doesn't hurt either.  I'm going to work this year and see if I can't take that out now.

The clutch is a sintered iron adjustable.  I'm running a tick over 800lb base right now.  It's the PN 471 pressure plate (800-1640).  When it needs freshening up I plan on having it changed to where I can lower the base down to at least 300.  I'm not sure if I need it that low though but would like to at least try.  It appears to be working like it should.  On a good lauch it picks the front tires up a good foot and half.  It's just not powerful enough to really carry them very far.

Take care,
James 

1967 Coupe
dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:42:24 am »

James,

Our cars are so very similar, it looks like we referred to the same playbook.  I lack the roller spring perches and the large diameter tires, but otherwise we are pretty much the same.  Caltracs, monoleafs, Ranchos, no sway bar, and I even threw 50lbs of sand in the trunk near the end of the year and that seemed to help immensely.  I first tried 100lbs and kept breaking things, LOL.  How much sand did you use?

With 4.56 gears you must be spinning that 393 up pretty good, although the tall tires would help keep it below 7K.

I too ran the same Ram clutch at the 800lb minimum base at the end of the year with a 5K launch.  Over the winter I sent the PP to Tim Hyatt and had him redo it with a minimal base and 13 turns of adjustment.  I think I have 200 base with up to 1500 or so max pressure, although I imagine that I'll end up in the 500-600 range at the track.  I'm also installing an aluminum flywheel for this year and that will be an all new experience for me.  Wish I had a Jerico laying around. 

Would you mind if I ask how you have your Caltracs set?  I assume lower hole but how much preload?  What about your Ranchos-how did you set them?

Sorry for all the questions but obviously I appreciate what you have done.  Again, good job!

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
95RCode
SBFTechie
Small Block

Roll Tide!!

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:49:16 am »

James,

Our cars are so very similar, it looks like we referred to the same playbook.  I lack the roller spring perches and the large diameter tires, but otherwise we are pretty much the same.  Caltracs, monoleafs, Ranchos, no sway bar, and I even threw 50lbs of sand in the trunk near the end of the year and that seemed to help immensely.  I first tried 100lbs and kept breaking things, LOL.  How much sand did you use?

I have 2 40lb bags up against the tail panel right now.  I'm gonna leave it there for now because it works.  But after I get the new heads and intake on and dialed in I would like to loose that 80lbs if I could.  It really did help the car rotate though. 

With 4.56 gears you must be spinning that 393 up pretty good, although the tall tires would help keep it below 7K.

At 125 it's only spinning around 6300.  That's assuming my tires are only growing around 1/2".

I too ran the same Ram clutch at the 800lb minimum base at the end of the year with a 5K launch.  Over the winter I sent the PP to Tim Hyatt and had him redo it with a minimal base and 13 turns of adjustment.  I think I have 200 base with up to 1500 or so max pressure, although I imagine that I'll end up in the 500-600 range at the track.  I'm also installing an aluminum flywheel for this year and that will be an all new experience for me.  Wish I had a Jerico laying around. 

That's what I would like to have done to mine.  But I need the same tach you have before I can get to really lowering the base.  Hopefully you can tell me something about how that works out.  I'll definetely be watching Smiley

Would you mind if I ask how you have your Caltracs set?  I assume lower hole but how much preload?  What about your Ranchos-how did you set them?

Don't mind at all.  You are right about the lower hole, I think I have at least about 1/2 turn of preload, might be more it's been a while since I set them.  My Ranchos are set to 5, mine are the older style that's as stiff as they will go.   

Sorry for all the questions but obviously I appreciate what you have done.  Again, good job!

No problem Dennis, if I can help I will.  Don't mind at all.  Your right our cars are very similiar.  Stay in touch if you need anything.  I would like to have someone to bounce ideas off also.

James

1967 Coupe
matt0matic
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15:51 pm »

Got pics?

Sounds like a cool car!

'65 BOSS Fastback
"We the people are the rightful masters of both
the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution."
Abraham Lincoln
Is1BadFord
Rookie
2stroke

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:16:17 pm »

Yep!  Really good stuff!

I'm going to be racing a stick car for the first time in a looong time.  Can't wait, but I know there's going to be a learning curve lol.  Discussions like these help tremendously.

Thanks!

Cris 
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 01:17:38 pm »

nice setup there in the classic.....good job... ...........
95RCode
SBFTechie
Small Block

Roll Tide!!

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 04:22:55 pm »

Got pics?

Sounds like a cool car!

Thanks, it's been a lot of fun.  Gives me something to beat on when I need a release Wink

Here's a few photos:

Here's some crappy photos from Pinks:

1967 Coupe
95RCode
SBFTechie
Small Block

Roll Tide!!

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:24:25 pm »

nice setup there in the classic.....good job... ...........

Thanks Smiley

1967 Coupe
95RCode
SBFTechie
Small Block

Roll Tide!!

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »

Yep!  Really good stuff!

I'm going to be racing a stick car for the first time in a looong time.  Can't wait, but I know there's going to be a learning curve lol.  Discussions like these help tremendously.

Thanks!

Cris 

I saw the '67 you are working on, need anything let me know.

James

1967 Coupe
95RCode
SBFTechie
Small Block

Roll Tide!!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »

Here's some photos from over the years:

Here's the Jerico

Here's a photo from around '02 right after I put the 393 in it:

Quarter panel cut off, I replaced both:

Pre Paint:

Almost ready for paint:

Right after paint:

Modified Tail Light Panel(eliminated the chrome around the lights):

Here's an old video before the Jerico:

1967 Coupe
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »

damn i am just lovin your car and killer color  once again good job i got a buddy doing the same thing right now 68 coupe with a 408/c4 and he has bought so many parts and spent too many hours on it and so have i...

Is1BadFord
Rookie
2stroke

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 05:38:13 pm »

Yep!  Really good stuff!

Thanks!

Cris 

I saw the '67 you are working on, need anything let me know.

James

Thanks James =D.

Right now I'm pretty much ok.  I'm doing a typical diaphram clutch, and pro shifted T5 for now (read: cheap and easy...cash outlay was nil), but down the road I'm definitely needing to go to a sintered iron adjustable deal.  At that point, I'll probably be pestering you and Dennis to death =).  I've also still only got slapper bars, instead of Caltracs, and a basically stock setup otherwise.  The list of suspension parts I want/need is longer than drivetrain parts at the moment lol.  I made this kind of setup (meaning the suspension) work years ago, but now I know how much I was leaving on the table and that just won't do!

Anyway, thanks for your offer...and believe me, I'll surely be taking you up on it...on the information front for sure =D.

Also...beautiful ride man.  Very clean and uncluttered.  My favorite kind.

Cris 
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 06:06:50 pm »

Very nice!.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite