Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 05:56:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435293 Posts in 37285 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Forced Induction
| | |-+ Turbos
| | | |-+ turbo 5.0
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: turbo 5.0  (Read 9105 times)
grabbem88
Self_Deleted
2stroke

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 04:36:05 pm »

why don't he just get a safe tune have fun for awhile..don't get greedy,just be realalistic with performance....save up for a block that will/can support your ever most greed of power then have even more fun...

those who beg in silence...starve in silence
mwhitehead05
4 Banger

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 06:24:56 pm »

And thus the story begins!

"I'm going to toss this turbo on a stock motor!"
"You need to rebuild it first bro, or it'll blow!"
"Ok, I'll go through it and replace the pistons, rering and bearing it!"
"If you're going to do all that, why not just build a 331/347, it'll be sick!"
"Oooooo!  Ok, for a little more money, I'm gonna build a 331/347, and put a turbo on it!"
"You're going to crack the stock block in half!"
"Damn, what can I do to keep from blowing the block up?"
"Dart block, or Windsor stroker!  Windsor stroker's probably FAR cheaper, plus you can make even MORE power!  You know, there's no replacement for displacement!"
"Hmm...dunno if it's gonna fit...and...and...and...yeah all that stuff."
"It'll fit, you just need 'x', 'y', and 'z' and you're good to go!"
"Really?  Damn, ok Windsor stroker it is!"

And there you have it.  If the guys got deep pocketbooks, insert 'build a dart block' where he decided on the stroker.

It never ends!

Cris 
im not stroking, Hmmmmm
Is1BadFord
Rookie
2stroke

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 06:47:19 pm »

yeah, itll be gone thru before the turbo, forged (or hyperutectic)pistons, resized rods and such , thanks again for the advice Thanx! Thanx!

Well if you're gonna through the bottom end and replace the pistons, rods, etc, why don't you just stroke it? Although a 331 with mild boost may end up cracking the block...

Wonder, Ponder

Nope, but that doesn't mean you won't lol.  And at least one person suggested it. 

What I listed there was a common progression on how an intended upgrade ends up a completely other motor etc etc.

Cris 
racereddy20
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 06:54:54 pm »

Really. The stock block will take more than enough abuse for it to get you hooked. Its all in the tune and how greedy you get. 7psi on a stock block no problem. Roller motor with forged pistons will take enough to be fun. Remember the old saying too much timing and too much boost make your mustang go away. Same thing for fuel. You can do it and have fun with it, or you can plan, buy, plan, buy, and end up selling it all later for 1/3 of what you paid for it because you let the project snowball.

FullAuto
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 10:27:16 pm »

I sold my T70 kit I had built to a friend of mine.  Today he went 10.28 @ 133mph with it on a stock 200+k mile shortblock and 15psi at just over 3000lbs.

Then again, the same guy split a stock shortblock only running 10.60s about 2 months ago.  When he put the different shortblock in it, he changed from an A9P to a FAST sequential.  He has it tuned fat and shifts at 5900rpm.  That's probably why this one hasn't split yet.
project50
Small Block

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 07:08:33 pm »

I thought that with bigger power you must to stay UNDER 6000 rpm in hopes of not splitting the block.

gone - charged 5.0.........
96 gt with 02 pi swap/ trans/dirtydog 3500 convertor- full tubek member front back/lth

now diesels- 10.5@131 @5500lbs
11.1@124 @ 7450lbs
87turbonotch
4 Banger

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 06:16:28 pm »

I thought that with bigger power you must to stay UNDER 6000 rpm in hopes of not splitting the block.

That is true, but at those power levels (500 and better) a stock 302/ 5.0 block is a time bomb.  It can and has been done before, but the end result is usually the same. 

I know a guy that builds an engine girdle and it is suposed to keep block flex at a minimum and make a stock block hold more power.  Here is a link if your interested in finding out more about it.

Ebay link to engine girdle support system:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-302-5-0L-ENGINE-BLOCK-GIRDLE-SUPPORT-SYSTEM-KAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ001QQitemZ110098386437

Home Page:
http://kam-performance.com/21.html

Or like others have sugested you could move to a 351, as I am doing.  Either way good luck with your setup.

-Brian

FullAuto
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 07:24:09 pm »

The same guy I mentioned a few posts above has since made 20+ passes at 134+mph all on the same 200+k stock shortblock.  It's been a best of 9.83 @ 137mph.  It's been 137mph a few times.  To do this he has the T70 cranked up all the way.  The FAST reads 21psi and he sprays a little nitrous to it also.

http://media.putfile.com/stock-block
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: