Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2021, 03:28:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
435314 Posts in 37297 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ exhuast question
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: exhuast question  (Read 12512 times)
mfloresspstang
6 Banger

« on: June 14, 2008, 08:57:09 pm »

Can any body tell me if this is a good exhaust system I really dont know what I should do with it, can anybody help ??    Wonder, Ponder

* 013.JPG (600.14 KB, 2080x1368 - viewed 757 times.)

* 009.JPG (589.56 KB, 2080x1368 - viewed 668 times.)

* 007.JPG (585.6 KB, 2080x1368 - viewed 662 times.)

* 006.JPG (595.35 KB, 2080x1368 - viewed 642 times.)

* 011.JPG (593.12 KB, 2080x1368 - viewed 668 times.)

* 008.JPG (612.76 KB, 2080x1368 - viewed 673 times.)
gtvert90
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:03:19 pm »

It would help knowing what the combo is and what size the exhaust is if you know. And LT or shorties.

Phil.
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:21:19 am »

I'm not a fan of "squeezing" the tubes to bend them.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
mfloresspstang
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:23:11 am »

I really dont know any of that info....... does it looked modified or should i go head and just have it re-done all over.      Thanx!
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »

The BBK headers and Catco x-pipe should be ok. The cat back looks stock with just a set of mufflers.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
mustang351_1989
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 06:45:04 pm »

i sold catco for 7 years!! haha, they were great converters. depending on what series they were and how the motor was running.  the ones in your h pipe/x pipe should be ok. they are the cheaper series(6500 series) but as long as your not dumping oil, fuel, antifreeze in there you should be ok. converters will last forever as long as you dont dump a bunch of crap in them. the exhaust diameter looks bigger then 2.25". im guessing those are flowmaster mufflers, and the tubing size is 2.50"-3.00". this is extremly commom. the headers from bbk are pretty decent too. as far as a good system-overall yes! for a street car/mild strip car. we dont know anything about your car though. its not a 4??"stroker motor with a f2 procharger is it? then it wouldnt be a good system. you want the motor to breath but you still should have backpressure.

1989 ford mustang 408w-sold
2001 black cobra- mods TBA
frop
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:15:44 pm »

you want the motor to breath but you still should have backpressure.
?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:24:51 pm »

Tubing IMO is only as large as the smallest diameter.  In this case, they are not Mandrel bent, so money spent on 3" tubing is wasted.
The less "turns" you put in it, the better.
I'm a fan of "turn downs".  Not only because of that particular sound, but any small amount of help getting the gases out is always a plus.
I can't stand "backpressure"...  it's like holding in a fart.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
mustang351_1989
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:33:06 am »

backpressure hahaha not sure what i was saying there. i think i was getting at its not a huge motor so you dont need large diameter tubing. by large i mean 3" and larger. it wont help any, so why spend the money on it? as far as i know though, theres still an amount of backpressure you have to have. i think i remember seeing something on this, cant remember where, they put exhaust on a car, it was about 4ft long or so, and they put oil on the inside of the tubing and started the motor. shut it off then cut the tubing in half. where the oil stopped running to was as much exhaust as they needed length wise. i think they said it was for backpressure. as im typing this i think i saw it on hp tv though. hahaha.  doesnt a motor require some sort of backpressure? or is the backpressure required obtained in the headers and everything after that in the exhaust system could be whatever you want? i didnt sell performance exhaust a hole lot, just oem shit. im still learning. and trying to help with what i can.

BirdMan
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 04:57:02 am »

I guess bp will get you better fuel mileage akin to Fords small exh ports helping to keep some unburnt gasses in the cylinder to dilute/mix with the new intake charge.  Most of stock Ford heads I have flowed on flowbench only flow no more than 60% of intake and most down towards 50% where ported aftermarket heads flow 70% to 80% for best performance on race track.  I think that is where the NASCAR racers get better or worse fuel mileage than their competitors!  Just my opinions.

Son's 412W Build Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19018.0.html
Son's '64 Falcon Performance Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,25183.0.html
Big Bill
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:17:06 am »

OH NO MR. BILL!!! The dreaded "backpressure monster" again! When will it ever die?  For the last time- BACKPRESSURE IS A BAD THING. IT IS NOT WANTED NOR IS IT GOOD FOR AN ENGINE. A myth that should have died long ago.   BIG BILL
MattMans88
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

The Real Blue Devil

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 09:24:18 am »

I was going to put a straight pipe on my go-kart about 7 years ago, but my uncle told me I would lose back-pressure and power.  Knowing now what I know, about engine AND my uncle I, would have told him to go fuck himself LOL.

"I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight."

"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay."

"Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

-Ron Burgundy
mustang351_1989
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »

well i guess i have just learned something hahaha! is there any tech articles on here i can look at on it? you said backpressure again so i assume there has already been a discussion on it. ill search it.
 Thanx!

stoker
Small Block

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:53:11 pm »

IMO,nonmandrel bends are ok if you goto 1/2" larger pipe diameter
e.i. if you want a true 2.5" system,just use 3"
thats just the okie in me
pro50mustang
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »

are those shorties?  i can't tell from the pics..looks like it, but i can't see if you have a collector hanging under the car.

88GT work in progress
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: