Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:45:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
408225 Posts in 34901 Topics by 8665 Members
Latest Member: 67coupe
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Small Block Windsor
| | |-+ Water pump backing plate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Water pump backing plate  (Read 2437 times)
corvus5469
4 Banger

Jerry

« on: October 21, 2012, 04:40:47 pm »

I am reading the book "How to Rebuild the Small Block Ford" and the author said it is unacceptable to replace the water pump on a SBF without the backing plate.  I have a SBF that I have put two water pumps on in the last 20 years and it has never had a backing plate.  I drove the car 750 miles  this summer, on Route 66, through New Mexico, in 95 degree heat, and temp. gage never got above normal.  Do any of you have a backing plate behind your water pump?  I am about to rebuild a 302 and want to know if spending 60 bucks for a backing plate is a waste of money.

65 Mustang   260 V8
71 Cutlass Convertible   350 V8
z-adamson
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:49:48 pm »

Never seen or heard of a SBF water pump without a backing plate. Only ever used mechanical water pumps though, not sure about electric.
tbird347
2stroke

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »

Pre 1965 289 and the 221 and 260 ci motors had a timing cover that had a water pump without a backing plate.  I think some of the early hi po 289 used the early cover also.  This water pump can only be used on the specific timing cover.  Everything later needs the backing plate though.
corvus5469
4 Banger

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:28:22 pm »

Pre 1965 289 and the 221 and 260 ci motors had a timing cover that had a water pump without a backing plate.  I think some of the early hi po 289 used the early cover also.  This water pump can only be used on the specific timing cover.  Everything later needs the backing plate though.

I have looked on the web sites of Rock Auto, Oreilly, and Autozone and none of those parts places have a listing for a small block ford water pump backing plate.  What parts store sells them?  Summit racing has them for electric water pumps.

65 Mustang   260 V8
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »

I probably could make you one.
what year block or setup?

I have one for Fox setup.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
tbird347
2stroke

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:24:48 pm »

I have never gotten a water pump that hasn't had the plate on it already.  Oem or aftermarket, they have always had the plate installed right out of the box.
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »

Some pumps come self contained, others need the back plate to seal plenum and guide the water to the ports.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:24 pm »

im 99% sure my sn95 does not have a plate

95gt, 302, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, 331 custom cam, 90mm accufab TB, 1 3/4 accufab LT's, 3in accufab h pipe, 3in magnapacks, 4.30's, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600. 12.9 @ 115 2.0 60' 1300DA
4dracer
4 Banger

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:05:05 am »

tbird347 is correct. Early 289's had a water pump that did not use a backing plate. I also ran one for about 20 years with no problems. I even used it on a 351 windsor. It was from a 64' 289 that I had. The timing cover is specific for the pump. If you have the pump off, look at the timing cover down at the bottom where the gasket seals to the pump. If there is a slot made into the gasket sealing surface at the bottom it has to have a backing plate. If the sealing surface is smooth with no slot don't use a backing plate. My water pump is a factory aluminum pump with passenger side inlet. Some of them had cast iron pumps. Hope this helps.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 08:46:50 am »

221-260-early 289 use a different timing cover/WP setup.

Late 289-302-351w require the backing plate because the timing cover was taken out of the flow control equation.... it now longer has the cavity required for the impeller.

1995 timing cover DOES have the WP ports/cavity..... IOW, no backing plate used.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
95GTspeeddemon
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:41 am »

awesome info!

95gt, 302, canfield 195's, canfield efi intake; efi sheetmetal elbow, 331 custom cam, 90mm accufab TB, 1 3/4 accufab LT's, 3in accufab h pipe, 3in magnapacks, 4.30's, solid bushing rear upper/lower team z suspension, team z tubular k member and A arms, front coil overs with strange 10 way all the way around. TKO600. 12.9 @ 115 2.0 60' 1300DA
corvus5469
4 Banger

Jerry

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »

221-260-early 289 use a different timing cover/WP setup.

Late 289-302-351w require the backing plate because the timing cover was taken out of the flow control equation.... it now longer has the cavity required for the impeller.

1995 timing cover DOES have the WP ports/cavity..... IOW, no backing plate used.

What great information.  I am making copies of all the pictures for my library.

Thanks

Jerry

65 Mustang   260 V8
turbo2256
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 12:59:05 am »

The pump in the timing cover in the old style with the volute in the timing cover and the newer version are more efficent. I was working on some cooling variations for a V engine for ford. I dont remember what engine, mite have been the 4.6. I mentioned about the old water pump setups were more effecent to the engineer. Bam 2 years later the old style reappeared in production.
The newer virsion should actually be an improvement over the old version.
1990LTD
Small Block

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 02:27:19 pm »

I have two for a newer style (Crown Vic/Fox) water pump/timing cover if you need one.

I am pretty sure the Fox and Panther covers are the same, but I could be wrong.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: