Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2018, 04:17:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435234 Posts in 37260 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Wiring - Basic and Advanced (Moderator: 347HO)
| | |-+ HEI/Duraspark
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HEI/Duraspark  (Read 39182 times)
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:46 pm »

While troubleshooting a random miss on my car, I decided to swap in a HEI module in place of my MSD 6AL. While I haven't been able to open it up above ~5000 rpm (damn cops!), the car seems to be running a lot better than it has in a while. Looks like it might be time to send my 6AL in for service (~8 years old).

Its wired similar to the diagram below, except that I triggered the relay with the factory red/green ignition wire(the jumper from the solenoid wasn't needed). I also mounted it to a decently sized home computer CPU heat sink and fan. I was surprised at the amount of heat that the module put off.

Not counting the heat sink and fan, the whole thing was under $40. A little under $30 for the module (NAPA), relay, and fuse holder. The wire and connectors shouldn't be more than $10. For the money, this thing works awesome. I may use this again for some future projects.

* HEI Module.jpg (1513.31 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 2098 times.)

* HEI-duraspark.gif (10.34 KB, 716x467 - viewed 11187 times.)

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:29:38 pm »

I ran one on my old LTD, worked much better than the duraspark. I don't recall using a relay though, I found the instructions on the carb'd ford message board I believe.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:11:02 pm »

Just took it back out and ran it up to 6500 in first and second. Didn't cut up the first time, despite the complaints of my drag radials.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:13:11 pm »

I ran one on my old LTD, worked much better than the duraspark. I don't recall using a relay though, I found the instructions on the carb'd ford message board I believe.

I thought about it. But I wanted to make sure it had a solid power supply. I have doubts about the capabilitys of the factory ignition switch.

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:01:41 pm »

I snapped this top pic oh the heat sink and fan. You can see where I added some washers under the fans screws to space it from the firewall (@1/4"). It provides plenty of airflow through the heat sink.

* HEI Heat sink.jpg (1574.41 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 900 times.)

I honestly don't get it.

85_GT
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:21:24 pm »

Heat sink maybe unnecessary.  Just a hard mount to a cleaned off area on fender apron or firewall is probably good. 

Think about the environment it was designed for.  In a closed unventilated area and mounted to metal that gets pretty hot itself.  It would be interesting to see if the distributor housing gets hotter from the module or the engine itself.  hmm...

85GT, Dart Windsor Jr, Crane 2030 equiv. Performer 5.0, 75mm TB, 88mm Slot, 34lbs injectors, 1 5/8" shorties, 5spd converted to 4R70W with Baumann controller, 3.25 9"
A9L running A9P bin via Quarterhorse with LC-1
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:17:24 am »

Heat sink maybe unnecessary.  Just a hard mount to a cleaned off area on fender apron or firewall is probably good. 

Probably so. I used the heat sink because it wouldn't be hard mounted, just temporarily zip tied there. It may be overkill but it was free and damn sure can't hurt.

I honestly don't get it.

David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:40 am »

I think you're better off having one, that thing gets hot.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:02:48 pm »

I found that external HEI modules were mounted on a heat sink from the factory. Went to the jy today and found one on a late 90s Blazer. I also picked up a extra coil bracket, TFI coil (it was almost new), coil pigtail, and Duraspark pigtail. With a couple aluminum brackets and some tight wiring, I was able mount everything at the coil. I also setup the wiring to allow it to be easily removed and installed on another  car.

* Compact.jpg (1417.83 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 897 times.)

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 02:55:56 am »

Swapped my Accel coil onto it and took it to the track. Performed flawlessly at up to 7000 rpm, including a nitrous pass.

The only snag that I have found is that the module's variable dwell doesn't get along really well with locked out timing. My car is slow to start at 30 and impossible to start at 35. It wasn't really noticeable with pump gas, as I can't run a lot of timing with it. This was never a problem with the MSD.

If I have to use it for any extended period of time, I'll likely put my mechanical advance back in service. I'll just limit it to about 10.

I honestly don't get it.

z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:48:47 am »

Think about the environment it was designed for.  In a closed unventilated area and mounted to metal that gets pretty hot itself.  It would be interesting to see if the distributor housing gets hotter from the module or the engine itself.  hmm...

The mounting pad in a GM HEI distributor is just over 1/2 thick and this was done to give the module a heat sink. It also has heat transfer grease under the module to increase the performance of the heat sink.

So, it was definetly designed to be used with a heat sink of some kind.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 04:01:05 am »

Does the module to coil negative connection really need to be 10 gauge or did you use it because thats what you available to use?

The way I understand it, the only wires that carry much current are the power supply cable (battery pos to coil pos) and the grounding cable. Everything else can be 14 gauge the way I understand it. This is of course assuming wire lengths of 12ft or shorter.

Also, how long is your coil wire?
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 11:26:08 am »

My power leads are 14g (12g fuse holder feeding 14g relay harness) and I think the coil leads are 16g. I just used a Ford coil pig tail. So, its whatever they used. All of my wiring is very short. Power leads are maybe 18" and the coil leads are maybe 10".

I honestly don't get it.

347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 11:42:59 am »

If correct (big if), the ignition requires 1amp for every 1k rpm  = heeeeeeeeeeeeeat

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »

Got bored today, and decided to try something different. I noticed that nobody makes a bracket to mount a TFI coil on the cylinder head. Then I noticed the abundance of space below it, and decided to put a HEI module and heat sink there.

Considering that I cut it with hand tools and eyeballed the level, it doesn't look half bad.

* 20141123_170928.jpg (2818.38 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 540 times.)

* 20141123_170949.jpg (3236.93 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 574 times.)

I honestly don't get it.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: