Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 02:11:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
414376 Posts in 35440 Topics by 8866 Members
Latest Member: falconsprint
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ '01 Expedition issue
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: '01 Expedition issue  (Read 2018 times)
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« on: November 17, 2011, 05:01:37 pm »

Hey Joel, my dad's '01 Expedition is having an intermittent rough idle and stalling issue when cold.  Push the throttle and it runs smooth as silk.  No check engine light and it passed smog recently with zero issues.  Today it started idling rough and stalled on him after the car was already hot.  Had been running fine for the past week so he was thinking he got a bad batch of gas.  Any ideas of what to start checking first?

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 05:06:03 pm »

My 99 F150 did that exact same thing.  Turned out to be the idle air control motor... it didn't throw a light right away.  It acted up over the course of a week before a trouble light went on.

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
8.2 Deck Forged Shortblock by FordStrokers

With a Novi2000...

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:29 pm »

My 99 F150 did that exact same thing.  Turned out to be the idle air control motor... it didn't throw a light right away.  It acted up over the course of a week before a trouble light went on.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

79289chase
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:39 am »

Pretty common problem on those trucks and v8 cars that used 4.6 and 5.4s. If you are around for a cold start tap on the IAC with a hammer and I bet it will smooth right up.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:33:21 am »

KISS principle needs to be followed first........ check all the rubber connections of the PCV and breather lines. Just as a reminder, check what I found when working on the '01 Navigator a couple of years ago and as explained at http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,15585.msg155344.html#msg155344

Those symptoms are similar to many cases I've worked on Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, Mustangs, F150, Navigators and other V6 engine configurations as well..... with the same "root cause" shown above.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 08:52:54 am »

^ that usually causes high/hanging idle with driveability issues and usually CEL

the iac sounds like the right path to me. clean the tb too

I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time. definately have a look see at vacuum connections etc.

425"
mighty mouse
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:55:31 am »

I had similar goings on with my Lincoln Aviator last night and this morning.  Did a visual check about an hour ago and found a cracked pre-formed rubber boot that went into the back of the throttle body/manifold area. 

This is a 4v 4.6 though... and it threw a light immediatly.

It was causing an erratic idle - sometimes high, sometimes low.  The low idle made me think it was not a vacum leak, but there it was.  Took it off and put some heater hose in its place for a temp fix and its runs tip top again.

With a Novi2000...

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:34:19 pm »

^ that usually causes high/hanging idle with driveability issues and usually CEL

the iac sounds like the right path to me. clean the tb too

I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time. definately have a look see at vacuum connections etc.

You are looking at the rubber connectors after they were removed for replacement, their condition when installed was one with a small opening (vacuum leak) and the other was collapsed, not allowing flow through the line thus cancelling the vacuum leak.

Also keep in mind that you are dealing with OBD-II stuff..... a vacuum leak will also show sometimes with no idle control issues but reflect in the STFT and LTFT PID values per bank or on both, or cause engine stalls due to the increase of those same PID's on the rich side and spark timing retardation..... BTSTDTRT many times.  FYI Nate, there is a TSB addressing those symptoms (TSB: 05-4-17 "Intermittent Rough Idle - Non-Commanded EGR Flow) caused by the EGR valve staying partially opened or not sealing well due to carbon buildup. LUK

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »

Thanks for all the help guys.  I'm leaving town for the weekend for the big end of the year California softball tournament in Palm Springs.  So I won't be getting around to this until early next week.

289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

Changed the idle air control valve / motor and so far so good.  The old one was pretty gummed up and carb cleaner didn't get it sliding smoothly so we just bought a new one.  Thanks for the help guys.

mighty mouse
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 11:00:46 am »

Changed the idle air control valve / motor and so far so good.  The old one was pretty gummed up and carb cleaner didn't get it sliding smoothly so we just bought a new one.  Thanks for the help guys.
Wink

With a Novi2000...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: