Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:22:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
434110 Posts in 37143 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Tech Articles - Engines
| | | |-+ Adjusting Stud Mount Rockers - and checking pushrod length
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adjusting Stud Mount Rockers - and checking pushrod length  (Read 73946 times)
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

I'll be the Judge of that

« on: July 07, 2006, 04:47:10 pm »

Adjusting Valvetrain

This is the system I use when adjusting stud mount roller rockers on my small block Fords with an Hydraulic Roller Camshaft.  This will also work for almost any engine using adjustable roller rockers* and a hydraulic style cam and lifter combination (roller or not).  My particular Roller Rocker Arms on my 351w with World Products Windsor Heads are Trick Flow 51400520 - 1.6 ratio for a 7/16" stud.  

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the preload on. I think the easiest and fastest way is to just follow the firing order.  For the 5.0 HO and 351w the firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.  Start with the No. 1 cylinder (passenger side front).

2. Hand rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop.  You are now ready to adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

3. Back off the intake rocker arm adjuster and remove any tension from the pushrod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the pushrod seat up against the retaining lock if you give it time to do so.

4. Now pull up and down (or rotate) the intake pushrod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the movement of the pushrod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one quarter to one half turn from that point. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

Wrench/Nut Turning ⅛ - ¼ - ½

5. Continue to hand turn the engine, watching that same intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

*If you are using a bolt down pedestal type rocker, or using a mechanical camshaft, consult a Chiltons/Haynes or other manual for guidance, as this procedure works only on valvetrains using adjustable stud mount rocker arms and hydraulic lifters.

Nathan Moonen                     
Moonenn3186@hotmail.com

* wrenchturn.gif (5.62 KB, 164x199 - viewed 30058 times.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 03:36:30 pm by Joel5.0 » Logged

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
9.5 Deck Forged Stroker Shortblock by FordStrokers
Trick Flow High Ports and Super Vic EFI intake by Duane Busch

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
5.0 falcon
6 Banger

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:21:35 am »

Could you explain how pushrod length fits into the equation?
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:06:14 am »

PR length allows setting of the valvetrain geometry, by changing its length , it will affect the "sweep" pattern, location with respect to the the valve stem, or its contact pattern through the valve open-close cycle. This has an effect on valvetrain, wear and tear. 

To check your pushrod length you will need a pushrod length checker (make one or buy one) and some light duty checking springs.  Install the light duty checking springs onto your cylinder heads and then install the adjustable pushrod into the pushrod slot making sure that it seats in the lifter.  Mark the valve stem tip with a sharpie or other dye and set your rocker arm following the instructions above for adjusting your stud mount rockers (or pedestal rockers if that is your bag).  Once the rocker arm is set, roll the engine over by hand several times and remove the rocker arm.  Then check your wear pattern.  Adjust according to the guide pictures below.

Too short = towards intake side

Centered and narrow = optimum

Too long = towards exhaust side

Now.......
Could you explain how pushrod length fits into the equation?
PR length has to be set/determined providing for the lifters preload....or the additional .020" - .060" needed for it.....

NOTE:
You also need a HR lifter made into a solid lifter, the following will help you make two of them for the Geometry Check.

Or make you own checking solid lifters......I have two I prepared following the procedure below.

Need a solid roller lifter to check piston-to-valve clearance on your hydraulic roller cammed 5.0L or 5.8L Ford?

Save a couple bucks and make your own out of an old stock lifter. The lifter at left (below) is a disassembled stocker. To turn it into a checking lifter, you trash the spring and flip the main plunger 180 degrees until your lifter looks like the one in the center.

The lifter on the right (above) is the finished product, marked with a yellow band so it won't get mixed up with its hydraulic cousins.

Do It Yourself Checking Roller Lifter

So you want to check piston-to-valve clearance on your hydraulic roller cammed small block Ford, but don't have the cash for an expensive solid checking lifter? Then do what hot rodders have always done: make your own. It's actually pretty simple: just take the lifter apart, grind .020 in. off the main plunger, remove the spring, flip the main plunger around, and reassemble. Presto -- a solid checking lifter.
Courtesy of http://www.trickflow.com/articles/stroker_1/#

Added: and to clarify some questions.....
You could also flip the plunger and not grind the .020" off, the snap ring will be a little difficult to install but it will work. If you intend to use the lifter in your build, disassemble it, flip the main plunger to its original position, reinstall the spring and reassemble the lifter. That's how I prepared the 4 lifters I have for degreeing cams, checking valvetrain geometry and PtV.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:20:44 am by Joel5.0 » Logged

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
5.0 falcon
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:54:25 am »

Killer pics Joel. Thanks.
Nacho
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 10:19:53 am »

95 5.0 Vert Having to start from scratch
wldtang
Small Block

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:11:54 pm »

Excellent write up. I need to modify a hyd. lifter with the correct preload so it will not change when checking for correct P rod length. I was taught that you could take a marker and mark the top of the valve stem. Rotate the motor over and check the wear of the rocker roller tip on the valve stem. This will show you where you p rod length is.

My 94 Cobra
(white w/ black cloth) 1 of 268

ExTerminator(04 cobra conversion)

trickcat
King Pimp Daddy
Big Block

Time to start working on my junk again!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 09:21:42 pm »

68 Cougar, 418 stroker, CI cam, Canfield heads, 1000cfm Drag Race Demon, C4/w 4000 stall, 9" rear, Detroit locker and bald tires. Explain
http://www.streetfire.net/video/my-68-cougar-at-sacramento-raceway_209039.htm

"Fast cars only need 2 pedals.... A Go Pedal and a Whoa pedal!"
CrimsonGT
4 Banger

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:37:53 am »

this thread really opened y eyes and helped me understand alot better than before.
nice pics 
gator
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 08:50:53 am »

I have a ?, when you use this method for adjusting the rockers do you need to make sure the cylinder is on the compression stroke or does it matter?

90lx, stock short block, stock cam, TFS 170's, 1.72rr, 70mm Turbo, 11psi boost, on stock tune
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 09:38:28 am »

I have a ?, when you use this method for adjusting the rockers do you need to make sure the cylinder is on the compression stroke or does it matter?
Nope...... you follow the valves cycling.....

....watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop.  You are now ready to adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

Means that cylinder piston is at the "beginning" of the exhaust cycle....you adjust the intake valve rocker.....and..

...watching that same (cylinder) intake. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder.

Means that cylinder piston is at the "end" of the intake cycle..... you adjust the exhaust valve rocker.

ACRONYMS:

The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
norm
4 Banger

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 01:03:17 pm »

is there any particular reason to go in the order of the firing order?i use the same method to set mine but i do the drivers side first then the passenger.i don't think there would be any difference other than the running from side to side.i use a starter button also.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 02:00:22 pm »

Nope...... your call.

ACRONYMS:

norm
4 Banger

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 02:36:49 pm »

all- righty Grin
gator
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 06:40:13 pm »

Thanks

90lx, stock short block, stock cam, TFS 170's, 1.72rr, 70mm Turbo, 11psi boost, on stock tune
irish
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 12:34:08 am »

Was reading about a different way of adjusting, TDC for each cylinder and adjust both intake and exhaust at the same time?  Anyone care to elaborate on this in more detail please?

thanks

Matt

1988 GT converted to mass air, 73mm C&L, cobra upper/lower, 24s, windsor junior heads, equal shorties, h-pipe, msd 6al, e-cam, fenderwell cai, 3.73s, t-5, Saleen clone...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: