Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 06:22:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
412197 Posts in 35271 Topics by 8801 Members
Latest Member: 76maverick
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ Building a tow truck with a 351w and a c6
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Building a tow truck with a 351w and a c6  (Read 1815 times)
z-adamson
Big Block

« on: April 16, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »

It seems that most of what I read around here is aimed at mid/high powerband engines that are put into cars with performance first and economy last.

Lets say you were to build a tow truck with a carb'd 351w.

Powerband is idle-4000rpm.

Emissions is not an issue.

Fuel economy is an issue.

The engine is already done and the heads, cam, are all powerband matched for idle-4000rpm. What I am wondering is what are the things that you would do differently with an application like this with the carb, intake manifold, exhaust, ignition, operating temp, cooling system etc. etc. The engine, trans and torque converter are already basically set in stone. It's the other things that I am wondering about.

Any suggestions??

z-adamson
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:55:14 pm »

Well, to start I will explain what I assume is the way to go.

1) I will want an operating temp of 195* as opposed to 180* or 160* -  this should help with fuel economy

2) I will want a small dual plane manifold and I will want to run a heat crossover to heat the floor of the manifold - this should help with drivability and fuel economy

3) I am going to want the carb to be close to the intake floor (no spacers). This should give great carb signal at lower rpms.

4) My thought is that I would be best served with a clutch fan as opposed to an electric fan. I would also likely be best served with a standard volume water pump, standard ratio pulleys and as big of a radiator as I can fit.

- Not sure about ignition and timing.

- Not sure where to start with matching the carb to the exhaust

Again, fuel economy and low end torque are key.

quickshift
Big Block

...old as dirt

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:10:53 am »

What will be the total weight of the truck/trailer?

What is the average anticipated speed (back roads or interstate)?

What tire size/rear gear are you running now?

Do you run A/C a lot?

Why do you want to stay with a clutch fan?

What yr and model of truck?

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
z-adamson
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »

quote author=quickshift

What will be the total weight of the truck/trailer? This will change from day to day but no more than the weight of the truck (about 6k) plus a couple thousand pounds. Nothing extreem.

What is the average anticipated speed (back roads or interstate)? No more than 60mph

What tire size/rear gear are you running now?3.55 ratio in the rear end. p225-75r15 tires. Also you didn't ask but the c6 has 4r100 wide ratio gears.

Do you run A/C a lot?The truck is not equipped with AC

Why do you want to stay with a clutch fan?In my experience they always seem to provide better cooling than most fans that draw moderate amount of power from the electrical system. A stock fan + shroud is hard to beat in my experience. Also, the alternator that I am using is only a little 60 amper so I am trying to keep the electrical load down. I don't want to go to a bigger alt if I don't have to.

What yr and model of truck? 1989 F250
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: