Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:03:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
434318 Posts in 37168 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Tech Articles - Electronics/EFI
| | | |-+ TFI PIP Sensor Replacement Procedure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TFI PIP Sensor Replacement Procedure  (Read 168241 times)
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« on: January 07, 2011, 06:02:46 pm »

TFI PIP Sensor Replacement Procedure

First of all..... I would like to start with a little video clip I made for the Pre-Removal indexing of the distributor and the indexing/installation after the PIP sensor was replaced on the bench.

<a href="http://sbftech.com/vids/mcmp_0.8.swf?fpFileURL=http://sbftech.com/vids/TFI_PIP.flv&amp;fpPreviewImageURL=http://sbftech.com/vids/SBF_log1.JPG&amp;colorScheme=ff0000&amp;cpBackgroundColor=ffff00&amp;cpHidePanel=mouseout&amp;cpHideDelay=.5&amp;fpButtonSize=63x63" target="_blank">http://sbftech.com/vids/mcmp_0.8.swf?fpFileURL=http://sbftech.com/vids/TFI_PIP.flv&amp;fpPreviewImageURL=http://sbftech.com/vids/SBF_log1.JPG&amp;colorScheme=ff0000&amp;cpBackgroundColor=ffff00&amp;cpHidePanel=mouseout&amp;cpHideDelay=.5&amp;fpButtonSize=63x63</a>

That out of the way, let's start with the procedure:

TOOLS:

TFI DISTRIBUTOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION:
  • 1/2" drive ratchet + short extension + 15/16" socket.
  • 1/2" Combination wrench or Ford specific "U" 1/2" closed wrench.
  • 3/8" Drive ratchet + short extension + 5/8" spark plug socket.
  • Starter push-button switch.
  • Timing Light

PIP SENSOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION:
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • 1/8" + 5/32" Pin Punch Driver
  • Hammer
  • Power Steering Pulley Puller
  • Chain Locking Pliers
  • 5.5mm TFI Module Bolts Wrench
  • Magnetic Base Tray (optional)
  • 3/8" Drive ratchet + 3/4" or 19mm deep socket for the P/S Pulley Puller
  • Carburetor Cleaner
  • WD-40
  • Dielectric Grease Compound
  • White or Black Lithium Grease or Engine Oil

PIP SENSOR REMOVAL PROCEDURE:

• Set engine at compression TDC and remove distributor from engine. You saw the clip, so no excuses.
  • Let's show the pictures of the PIP sensor removal/replacement procedure on the bench then.
  • Remove ignition distributor cap extension using the phillips screwdriver.  I'm sorry.... no pic, My Bad

PIP SENSOR INSTALLATION PROCEDURE:

And now.... you are ready to install it back in the engine and index it.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:40:57 pm »

TFI IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR INDEXING PROCEDURE:

• Check the video clip in this thread and make sure you set crankshaft balancer position at the correct TDC mark, #1 cylinder in compression.
  • If you have an aftermarket balancer, there are usually three (3) sets of timing marks/scales.

• In the case used, and due to the damage caused by a little engine damage, the correct scale to use was retouched with some white-out or liquid paper as shown below.

• Again, set it to TDC or 0° BTDC...... NOT the 10° BTDC line.
  • Spray/Apply to distributor shaft, gear and 'O' ring with some lubricant like white lithium grease or engine oil. The picture below shows it with white lithium grease.

• Orient the distributor housing and the vanes rotor slightly offset in the CCW direct of the correct #1 position. When the distributor gear meshes with the camshaft gear, it will position itself in the correct direction.
  • The following three pictures show the position previous to be dropped in and after the distributor is seated all the way in.

• Verify rotor orientation and use the reference points mentioned/shown. The case shown below was the original way it was set. It was 1-tooth-off in the advanced position. It is shown for illustration purposes.

• Align the OEM distributor housing/block marks at the bottom of the distributor base (as shown in the pic below), and you should be very close to the OEM 10° BTDC initial timing spec.
  • If your distributor is an aftermarket, the above does not apply. Do check the TFI module connector orientation though.

• Install distributor cap, verify correct firing order, and you are now ready to start the engine and set base timing.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:11:48 pm by Joel5.0 » Logged

ACRONYMS:

The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:48 pm »

SN95 distributor housing and rotor indexing reference pictures.

ACRONYMS:

roh92cp
4 Banger

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17:06 am »

Joel5.0 I have read over this Dist indexing procedure for a Fox and have found the video and then later the in this thread the produre with pictures seem to show conflicting images of the correct position of the Dist and rotor when at #1 TDC. In the video you relate the rotor to the pass stud on lower intake when dist is fully seated. And in your pictures in this thread the rotor with dist fully seated  you show with a red arrow pointing between the 2 studs on the lower intake. Which illustration is correct.  It also seems the video and then pictures illustration that conflict seem to be from the same engine. Can you help identify whcih one is correct and or did I miss something.   
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 07:58:57 am »

Between the two studs or.......

... is the correct one. I left the others on purpose b/c couldn't edit the video and as an example as mentioned at http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,28934.msg304156.html#msg304156

ACRONYMS:

roh92cp
4 Banger

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:54:37 am »

Thanks Joel5.0. I had it stabbed wrong the first time seated it was pointing at the pass side stud on the lower intake, that may have been 1or 2 teeth off. I did set the timing to 10* so it shouldn't have made any difference correct. However it didn't run right at WOT it cut out hard like I was hitting the rev limiter at around 4k, that went away when I restabbed the dist as you illustrated. Can you make sense of that.   
brianstang1
4 Banger

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:08 pm »

I have always stabbed it at 10btdc and had the rotor aligned with #1 wire

1989 Coupe...Explorer shortblock, AFR165's, TFS1 cam, Holley Systemax, 70mm PP T.B., Pro Flow MAF, 24lb. inj. ProMotion Faceplated T5, 3.73's
Paul78zephyr
6 Banger

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »

This is a very good guide to PIP module replacement. I would like to point out two things:

1. Getting the gear roll pin hole perfectly aligned with the hole in the shaft so that the roll pin can be re-installed can be difficult due to the press fit nature of the gear/shaft. Also the hole thru the gear/shaft is not perfectly thru the center so it is important the match mark both pieces so that they are re-installed in the same orientation.

2. I would not use dielectric grease between the TFI module and the distributor housing. Heat transfer out of the TFI module is critical. Silicone dielectric grease is an electrical insulator and is also a thermal insulator. They make specific thermal/heat transfer grease for that application.

Thanks
Paul

1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR
FORD93GTFREAK
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »

My 1993 Frankinstang Gt Distributor, PIP sensor(Fords Cam Sensor), TFI removal..

taking a long look, before I start

Removed the Distributor and now getting ready to remove the gear(I don't have a puller) so I had to come up with some improvising, in order to pull the gear off. It worked, however, if I had the gear puller, I would have used it.

Just a look inside...I can say when I get some cash, I'll purchase a new Dizzy, this one is crap and showes that many hands over the years have been messing with it. I hope The cleaning and parts replacement will hold me until I get a new unmolested one.

I need to mention...don't forget to install a new gasket/O-ring...not sure which one it's called, because mine is dried out from heat and broke removing it.

i'm eating lunch now and after that, i'm back to cleaning and reassembly

FORD93GTFREAK
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 04:06:21 pm »

After lunch...

New O-ring

Installed! and fired right up!!

thanks for a GREAT WRITEUP!!

now..I will post what happened when I went for a drive, in my other thread
http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=38004.new;topicseen#new
eboost
Small Block

Location: Melbourne, Australia...But currerntly in California

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 12:18:03 am »

The pictures in this thread are not loading for some reason. Can anyone else see them?
FORD93GTFREAK
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 09:36:50 am »

The pictures in this thread are not loading for some reason. Can anyone else see them?
I can't see them either, must be a software loading issue
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 05:02:10 pm »

I will be fixing this problem by the end of next week. There seems to be a problem with the pictures location.

ACRONYMS:

eboost
Small Block

Location: Melbourne, Australia...But currerntly in California

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 09:18:18 pm »

I will be fixing this problem by the end of next week. There seems to be a problem with the pictures location.

Thank you Sir!

Any chance I could get some info on where to buy the genuine FORD PIP sensor? Perhaps a part number too?

Ive pulled the gear off my 351 MSD TFI Distributor to put a steel gear on and wanted to change out the sensor while it was in bits.

I found an article which said the MSD sensor wheels are excessively out of spec. It says the larger fingers should measure 0.398-0.400''. Im not sure how much this effects the performance but a few of mine measured 0.402''.

Im wondering if the OEM wheel is any better and if so, can it be used on the MSD distributor?

The article is here:
http://www.promracing.com/tfi-distributor-shutter-wheel-182.html

I'm wondering if they are just marketing they're product?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: