Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 12:18:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
412190 Posts in 35271 Topics by 8801 Members
Latest Member: 76maverick
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ Big Block Talk
| | | |-+ 460 BBF Help....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 460 BBF Help....  (Read 5632 times)
88BlueGT
Small Block

« on: March 05, 2010, 07:11:32 pm »

Hey guys,

I'm going to be honest here and let you know right from the start, I don't know SH*T about big blocks.... always thought they were awesome with great potential but never really god technical with them.

So last week I started doing some reading about big blocks and it got my head spinning with excitement. I'm HOPEFULLY picking up a 87 Notch roller next week some time that I might want to attempt to do a BB swap in.

I found a motor for sale online and was just wondering if anyone can give me some info on. Its a 460 out of a '85 f350 with 75k miles on it and runs great (the guy is pulling it out of the truck by the weekend) Comes with factory 4-barrel, dist. and p/s pump. Hes asking $200 dollars for the complete motor. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I did some research on the block and it seems that the price is fair.

I was wondering though if someone could give me a brief run down on BB's (if anyones interested) and maybe some info on this motor (what heads came equipt on it, etc.).  I would appreciate any help that I can get from you guys, I know theres tons of knowledgeable people on here.

Thanks again,

Dan B.

93 GT AOD: Stock 302 w/ Gears & Suspension + bolt ons... nothing fansy Smiley
88 LX "Big Blue": Project Car: Currently Gutted & Hopeless
MeanWT99GT
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:32:16 pm »

I dunno about the heads/cam for that particular year but I don't think they're anything special.

Output was 225hp and 385 ft lbs.

"I wouldn't worry about the rod ratio if I were using toothpicks and tomato soup cans...it's irrelevant." - Mark O'Neal
quickshift
Big Block

...old as dirt

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »

http://www.460ford.com/

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:59:37 am »

Big Block Fords can be pretty awesome.  Make a ton of power for little dough.

But...

They can also take crazy money...

What are your goals here?

I have been thinking of selling some ported D0VE 460 heads with Super Cobra Jet valvetrain and have done some research on these.

The heads etc that came on the mid 70's through the final years of the Lima engine are JUNK JUNK JUNK.

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
8.2 Deck Forged Shortblock by FordStrokers

With a Novi2000...

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
88BlueGT
Small Block

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:01:38 pm »

Yea I didn't expect the factory heads to be anything special, definitely plan on a swap.

As for goals, I'm pretty open. I COMPLETELY understand that its a BB and its not going to be that streetable BUT I would prefer to keep it as streetable as possible. Its a car that'll see the track maybe a few times a yr on nice days, besides that... shes a street car (or should I just say a car that gets driven on the street? lol).  I'm thinking maybe 600hp, nothing too crazy. I'm figuring I could do that fairly easily (w/ h/c/i and a rebuilt bottom end... possibly stroked?)

As for the head comment, thank you. Thats the kind of info I'm looking for. Just simple things I should start learning.

Also, hows the price for that motor seem? Too high? fair?

ALSO, possible to keep PS, AC, etc.? What about the master cylinder? I would really choose not to run manual brakes if I don't have too. Possible to relocate?

Thanks guys!  

mighty mouse
"Prom King Mista Nathan Moonen"
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »

Price of the engine seems ok, i guess.

You can probably get 600 ponies with D0VE heads (best stockers) and a good valvetrain and intake.

Alum heads are but loads lighter though...

Get a BIG header.

1986 Mustang GT Convertible
Suspension and Differential by Team Z Motorsports
8.2 Deck Forged Shortblock by FordStrokers

With a Novi2000...

I'd rather be a fool who is loyal to his friends than a POS that jumps ship to save face. We were wrong in the end, but nobody can ever call us disloyal. I can live with that.
88BlueGT
Small Block

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 12:13:29 pm »

Well thats good to know.

Aluminum heads will most certainly be used on this motor.... no questions asked.

jayh
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »

$200 for a good running big block?

that sounds like a screaming deal to me? 

425"
88BlueGT
Small Block

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:51:14 pm »

Thats what I figured. I just compare it to SB's. I would pay $200 bucks for a running 302 w/ 75k on it, why not a BB which is 10x's harder to find.

88BlueGT
Small Block

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:04:14 am »

possible to keep PS, AC, etc.? What about the master cylinder? I would really choose not to run manual brakes if I don't have too. Possible to relocate?

grabbem88
Self_Deleted
2stroke

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:16:28 am »

Dove heads are by far the best factory heads for what they can produce  i have seen the do8e/7's be pretty decent,but are open chamber...i bought my 460 in pieces for 200 bucks so yeah you made out imho.

i was going to do a 545 stroker..but you will need a trickflow A460 head which requires there intake as well....with said parts 800-900hp without breaking a sweat.

those who beg in silence...starve in silence
Ammosteve
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Steven Daniels

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:19:48 pm »

For what you are wanting to do the I would choose the Cobra Jet or the Trickflow Street head.  Both will do what you are wanting and won't break the bank....

The Victor intake or the Trickflow street intake would be my choice.  I would top it with a decent carb and as was said large headers with free flowing exhaust.

600 can be had relatively easy and will still be streetable.

Steve
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:42:51 pm »

ALSO, possible to keep PS, AC, etc.? What about the master cylinder? I would really choose not to run manual brakes if I don't have too. Possible to relocate?

Thanks guys!  

You can always run an electric vacuum pump for badass power brakes.

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 2" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624/.609 251/256 108, 1-3/4" x 3" headers, Broader Performance RmV/B under a C6/4R100 behind a 8"/9" billet 5500 stall, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, M/T ET radial streets 315/60-15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html

Irwindale Speedway 1/8 mile (1st time at a track!) = 7.647 @ 90.78mph with a crappy 1.878 sixty foot (3850# race weight)

Present day Merc = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Except that engine building (properly) is a labor intensive industry.  Who do you think does all the measuring and machining?  Little engine shop fairies?  Not to mention assembly, mock up and parts fitting.

At Woody's level you are not just paying for his labor but for his skill set as well.

Thanks FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
SteveL
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:50 pm »

Or a belt driven vacuum pump for the brakes and AC,
like this one...

http://cardone.com/English/club/members/customer/ecat_brands/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUM=641006

Off a 1983 F250 Diesel...

Steve.K.Bates

To be honest, when you buy cheap, you invest in disappointment...
-Invalidboy
89PonyExpress
4 Banger

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 08:24:40 pm »

You could also consider a hydraulic brake booster/master cylinder setup like those found on a diesel pickup that runs off the power steering pump.  I've got one on my 2000 F250 powerstroke.  GM used them on some diesel luxury cars in the '80's.  A friend had one on a Toronado.

'89 hatch bracket racer
'67 GTA fastback s-code
'93 notch project (next bracket car)
'67 Cyclone GT (future project)
'57 Ranchero (shell-basket case)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: