Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 01:13:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435311 Posts in 37295 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ Summarized/Corrected Base Idle Reset Procedure
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summarized/Corrected Base Idle Reset Procedure  (Read 123079 times)
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« on: August 27, 2006, 08:50:38 pm »

Summarized/Corrected Base Idle Reset version

1. Clean TB with carb cleaner and nylon brush (toothbrush size). Engine off, fully open TB blade and spray/brush TB until all gunk and oil residue is cleaned.

2. Allow to dry, or close TB blade and start engine until it clears all carb cleaner fumes/liquid.

3. Let engine idle...if it doesn't, increase idle speed via TB stop screw until engine stays idling on its own.

4. Disconnect IAC valve, if engine dies repeat 3 with IAC disconnected.

5. Set idle speed to the lowest setting possible between 600-800 rpms with IAC disconnected. It is key to use the lowest possible to prevent idle surge, rolling, etc once the IAC is connected as follows.

6. Turn engine off, and reconnect IAC

7. With Ign On Eng Off, check TPS voltage output....if it's between .7vdc - 1.0vdc, it's OK. This voltage check should be done between the Green and Black wires at the TPS side connector as shown in the pic below....(-) terminal of the DVOM on the Black wire and (+) terminal on the Green wire.

8. Disconnect battery (-) for 3-5 minutes.

9. Reconnect battery, start engine, allow it to idle for 2-4 minutes to confirm setup,

10. If idle speed falls too low or stalls, increase idle speed via the TB set screw a little at a time.

11. Turn engine off for 20 seconds, re-start engine and repeat 9 - 11 if required.

12. Reconfirm TPS output is within the .7vdc - 1.0vdc range.......you're done!...

FYI..no need to reset ECM KAM (reset computer) b/c the TPS minimum value used for idle control, is automatically reset by the EEC-IV every time the ign is cycled on-off for 20 seconds-on, and as explained in the next post

13. Allow a 10-20 minute "relearning" period under normal driving conditions (drive cycle).....now you're done.

Good Luck!

The procedure described above is based on Ford's TSB 91-7-4 regarding the installation of an Idle Air Bypass Plate + the revised EFI Throttle Body Idle Adjust Procedure.

Click Please
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:35:29 pm by Joel5.0 » Logged

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 08:52:59 pm »

Adjusting the TPS......a case in Mythology
Summarized EEC-IV logic for the TPS......

The following is a very short explanation of the EEC-IV Idle/TPS Strategy as contained in the EEC-IV Strategy Book - GUFB. Every time the Ign Switch is turned to the ON position.....the EEC-IV will do the following for the TPS signal:

• Minimum voltage at closed throttle over .49 vdc. , less than .49 and codes 23 and 63 will set as failures.  SOS Urgent
  • Max voltage closed throttle should not exceed 1.2 vdc, or codes 23 & 53 will set as failures.  SOS Urgent
  • TPS voltage between .5vdc and 1.19 = no codes, TPS  ...then EEC-IV system is  OK! (TPS wise)

►Closed throttle TPS value is reset by the system to the lowest value read when ignition is turned on every time. Or as explained by the EEC-IV RATCH algorithm:

The variable RATCH is the output of a ratchet algorithm which continuously seeks the minimum throttle angle corresponding to a CLOSED THROTTLE position. This alleviates the necessity to set the throttle position sensor at an absolute position and compensates for system changes and differences between vehicles. The ratchet algorithm uses filtered throttle position for the determination of RATCH.

► A voltage increase of .04 vdc from the minimum registered will id part throttle status.
► Minimum WOT value of 3.21 vdc (.5 + 2.71) and not higher than actual Voltage REFerence (VREF) generated by the ECM to access WOT strategy.

FYI....This does not include the other registers and functions, the system uses to id acceleration, deceleration, cruise...etc, like:

APT = At Part Throttle flag

The value of APT is determined by a logic. Briefly, throttle angle breakpoints, in terms of counts, are used to define the CLOSED/PART_THROTTLE and PART/WIDE_OPEN_THROTTLE transitions.

OLDTP = Previous TP sensor value, counts.
TAR = Throttle Angle Rate of change, deg/sec.
TP = Throttle position sensor.
FN331B = A multiplier as a function of the present throttle angle minus the lowest measured throttle angle (TP - RATCH)
Etc, etc, etc

Adjusting the TPS is a MYTH....or more proof is needed? Anyone?

ACRONYMS:

The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
8950lx
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 06:34:10 pm »

Why do I see adjustable type and non-adjustable type TPS's on 5.0L mustangs? If you were to take the tps off for some reason, can you just put it back on and set it to b/w .8 - 1.0vdc and be done with it? Someone told me there is a spring inside that unwinds if you take the TPS off, and that you should somehow wind it back to be able to put it back on. 

Oh yeah, I'm guilty of trying to set the TPS to EXACTLY .98vdc before, but only because I was told the car wasn't going to run right if it wasn't at .980000000000vdc  Roll Eyes

1988 Mustang LX Coupe former 4 banger:

306 CID, F303, 70mm TB, 76mm C&L MAF,  Comp Cams Box upper and Cobra lower, 24# injectors, Mac 1 5/8" Shorty Headers, 2.5" H pipe, Spin-Tech Pro Streets(dumps), 3.73 Gears, Cobra front brakes with '95 GT lower control arms, '95 GT rear disc brakes.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 08:40:09 pm »

Don't ...no...it doesn't unwind....if it does the TPS is FUBAR. Mustang and Ford TPS (very few exceptions come to mind, like some CFI's)...are not adjustable...besides, why would you want to adjust a sensor the logic takes care of.... ...... as far as the EEC-IV logic goes, a TPS set @.5vdc = 0...one set @.8vdc = 0, @1.1vdc = 0......@.98000000000000vdc = 0... Roll Eyes . Why would you need a computer that cannot compensate?..... Wonder, Ponder

ACRONYMS:

Lumpen
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:10:12 am »

Adjusting the TPS is a MYTH....or more proof is needed? Anyone?
Sorry for the thread mining (sigh newbie etc etc etc) but that just re-enforces my dim view on australian knowledge of these engines.... 

Cheers,
Lumpy

Happy Dealings With: vristang and 93lxcoupe5.0

Believe nothing because a wise man said it.
Believe nothing because it is generally held.
Believe nothing because it is written.
Believe nothing because it is said to be divine.
Believe nothing because someone else believes it.
But believe only what you yourself judge to be true."

(Kalama Sutra, AN 3.65)
Jdubes
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 10:43:33 am »

I've always thought this too, that it doesn't need to be set at a specific voltage, but I've noticed that SCT tuning software tries to have you target .98v too. Don't know why.

Justin
95 F-150 4wd/5spd 6" lift/35" tires, 393ci with Jay Allen cam, my big beast!

07' Fusion SEL V6 AWD
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 10:57:28 am »

I've always thought this too, that it doesn't need to be set at a specific voltage, but I've noticed that SCT tuning software tries to have you target .98v too. Don't know why.
It's a byproduct of the myth, unless the SCT tune cancels the TPS filtering (I call it re-zero) function logic (which can't be done AFAIK)...... it doesn't make sense.

ACRONYMS:

machstang23
6 Banger

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:07:25 am »

I am a little confused on checking the TPS voltage.. do I disconnect the TPS sensor from the wiring harness and check it by pushing the needles from my voltmeter into the sensor plug, or do I have to try and push those needles down past the insulation on the outside of the connector while leaving the sensor hooked up?

Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:26:21 am »

Nope.... you check it with the TPS connected, and probe into the wires insulation. Just make sure it falls within its window range of .8 - 1.0 vdc....... or .7 - 1.1 vdc.... or .6 - 1.1 vdc....... no need to adjust the TPS, it will work fine. The .8 - 1.1 vdc window is the "middle ground" to allow for any voltage variations.

ACRONYMS:

tx90vertgt
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 02:43:45 pm »

When trying to correct a surging idle on cold start only, should I warm the car first before doing the base idle reset?  I would think if I attempted to do it while it is surging (ie the first 1 1/2 minutes after a cold start) I would have to set the idle way to high.

I would have started a new thread but this seemed like a good addition to this topic.

1990 GT Convertible
fordstrokers.com 408W
Tremec TKO / Quicktime bell
Canfield Heads
Custom .600 lift billet cam
Super Vic with Pro 5.0 elbow
42lb squirters
Accufab 90mm
Pro M 80mm MAF
Moates Quarterhorse / Innovate LC1
Mishimoto aluminum radiator
Mishimoto dual electric fan setup
135 amp 3G alt
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:39:37 pm »

Base idle needs to be done at op temp........ then the cause for the cold start symptom worked separately.

ACRONYMS:

1trickponie
4 Banger

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 01:30:11 am »

so i've done all of those step's and i've got a crappy multi meter from wally world!!HAHA ithe tps was showing no voltage with the ignition off? what do i do now?buy a new t.p.s?:wtf:i beat the f++++ out the black and green wire's looking for voltage,even checked the voltage on the a/c volt reg on house plug's and it's working fine!!!?i'm not getting voltage to tps? any one got any input would be greatly appreciated!!! thank's, wes

306 ,gt40 intake,stock upper and lower,bbk long tubes,bbk x-over,a/c delete,smog delete,3:55's,black magic fan..looking to do more.
Haystack
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 02:53:27 am »

car should be on or running. Otherwise. whats the point in checking how open the throttle is?

1987 Ford thunderbird. sn-95 t-5, f-150 clutch and flywheel behind a 5.0 s.o. weighs about 3500lbs.
1986 cougar gs. 5.0 s.o. and aod.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:05 am »

so i've done all of those step's and i've got a crappy multi meter from wally world!!HAHA ithe tps was showing no voltage with the ignition off? what do i do now?buy a new t.p.s?:wtf:i beat the f++++ out the black and green wire's looking for voltage,even checked the voltage on the a/c volt reg on house plug's and it's working fine!!!?i'm not getting voltage to tps? any one got any input would be greatly appreciated!!! thank's, wes

Key should be in IGN ON.....

ACRONYMS:

1trickponie
4 Banger

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 05:06:28 pm »

car should be on or running. Otherwise. whats the point in checking how open the throttle is?
well if you read the top post it say's WITH THE IGNITION OFF CHECK THE TPS,thats a little misleading,

306 ,gt40 intake,stock upper and lower,bbk long tubes,bbk x-over,a/c delete,smog delete,3:55's,black magic fan..looking to do more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: